SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
35' boat Barlow 25.

The owner took the top nut off to inspect the winch. Found out that three screws were broken off. Put it back together.

Sailing yesterday the the top nut and the self furring piece went in the water.

What options does he have to fix this.

I found this: HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches

has anyone successfully bought spare parts for Barlow winches.

·
Registered
18 Posts
He put it back together and sailed it with THREE broken screws??? Exploding winches can become lethal flying objects, I don't know if I'd get back on the boat until all the winches were completely removed and inspected. It sucks that he lost those parts, but I'm glad nobody was injured.

To me it's like brakes on a car, you do both sides at once because they tend to wear at about the same pace. One side may be in better shape, but if so, that's an indicator of a problem needing addressed somewhere. Those winches were likely installed at the same time, by the same person, with the same hardware. If one had THREE broken screws, the others likely aren't far behind.

Spares can be available, but with Barlow out of business, and some of those spares apparently needing to be machined as needed, it may be cheaper to find a complete used replacement.

·
Old enough to know better
4,343 Posts
Seems the cheapest option is going to be to try to find a used one. Seems with all the boats that had been crushed after Sandy one would think the north east would be filled with used boat parts, but I don't seem to see much. Shame as I am sure a lot of useful stuff (heck winches seem to have an almost indefinite life as most are replaced to get new features such as sell tailing) has been put into the landfill. If he can get a used pair then he would have a spare to rebuild/lube when he had time and swap them out.

·
Less Senior Senior Member
1,445 Posts
Excellent experience with Hutton Arco. Email them and send pictures. They'll do you right.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Good excuse to replace them with nice shiny Andersons, you'll never need another winch again.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Serves as a good reminder to check/grease the winches regularly. They're pretty darned rugged pieces of equipment but need lube once in a while. Also, it pays to take 'em apart so the machine screws DON'T seize and break off. Some Never-Seez or the like is good stuff for reassembly.

·
Less Senior Senior Member
1,445 Posts
I've had good luck with Hutton-Arco, but they aren't cheap and if you are located in North America, then shipping costs are pricey as well.
True, but even with shipping it was about half the cost of new winches for me to send mine back to convert to self tailing. Came back rechromed, all new parts, lubed up and as a drop in for the mounting already on the boat, which saved more time and money.

·
Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
Condolences, divorce is always hard.

Oh, winch. Sorry, I misread the thread title. Carry on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts