SailNet Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,060 Posts
I understand and sort of agree with the aesthetic concerns, but when my 10-year old Raymarine X-5 wheel pilot dies I’m gonna go with a CPT because of their reputation for simplicity and reliability. All I need is a pilot to hold a course and allow me to make a few manual adjustments occasionally......

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The CPT install is quite straight forward. You only need to power it. You also need to get the alignment correct which is just adding or removing some shims.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
There are MANY posts on SailNet and elsewhere of people having trouble with these things. One issue described in this thread is that some users/customers use the wheel helm clutch as a wheel brake to secure the rudder when they are not aboard. - Guilty! - Although I don't recall reading anywhere in the manual not to do this. Going forward, I will be using the knob.
I would NEVER even consider doing that, whether it was in the manual or not. My boat lives on a mooring all season. I use the Edson knob plus a line to tie the wheel. My wheel pilot is original - from 1985. Still working fine.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I too am jo fan of RM. C80 and tiller pilot issues. I dont know any the others are better.

So far I am happy with simple alternatives. Iphone with iNavex and AquaMap works fine as a plotter. CPT AP, and/or Pealigic tiller pilot.

The exception is the RM wind instruments which were installed in 2006 and have worked fine since. The C80 serves as a radar screen OK.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It seems that I am NOT the only person to have issues with the Raymarine wheel pilot. Here is a YouTube series in which some of the same issues are addressed;

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
380 Posts
It seems that I am NOT the only person to have issues with the Raymarine wheel pilot. Here is a YouTube series in which some of the same issues are addressed;

If you ever decide to upgrade to a below decks pilot I love my Simrad AP. But I did keep my old Raymarine linear mechanical drive which is fantastic.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Paymarine!

Reactions: RegisteredUser

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: CPT autopilot
It comes with the mounting brackets.
I like that it is stand-alone...and that i can see the belt and cogs
I installed and used a CPT on a Cal 33. Edson pedestal. Simple installation. Very robust pedestal brackets and wheel mounts. The CPT can deliver incredible torque to the wheel. In 4 years it never glitched once. Dead simple operation with no waypoint setting. Just point the boat and lock-on to that heading. If you want/need more complexity get something else.

-Doug

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Sensitive to mag interference...fones, tablets, etc
Once you learn its care and feeding...a no hassle, no brainer...great crew member and doesnt need sleep nor rum
Download the easy recalibration instructions...also quick and easy to perform

21 - 30 of 30 Posts