SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I posted pics of a smartphone case i was working on. It has taken my longer than expected to get to a version I am willing to show again but now I am ready to actually have dies made to cut the material and begin having them made.

Previously, the name was "FrogSkin" but that name had already been copyrighted so I am choosing "FrogSuit"," what the well dressed smartphone wears on the water".

It is waterproof to depths sufficient to crush the phone, it floats, very brightly colored so you can see it as it floats away, can be used with the existing iphone cover (the neoprene stretches). It is NOT intended to be used all the time because it puts an additional layer of vinyl between you and the phone and is slightly bulkier than the normal protective case. However, it should provide very good protection to a phone even in constant submersion situations, not just for 3 minutes to 10'. It has a good lanyard.

We are anticipating selling it for people going snorkelling, skiing, sailing or other sports where your phone could be immersed or subject to shock. The camera can be used underwater although not as high quality pics as with as a case specifically for that purpose but the pics taken with it do look good.

The pictures show the Samsung (S3, S4) and Iphone versions. A larger version will be out soon for the large Samsung phones (and for the large Motorola phones, same thing).
We will have versions next week for both the iPad and iPad mini for use in wet cockpits.

First versions will be sold in Aspen, CO where my son is working as the ski company says they want to sell them.

BTW, I have applied for a patent on the concept and a copyright to the name.

David OHara (aka "Frogwatch")

Now that I have versions I can take pics of, I will start trying to advertise in Sailnet (so guys, expect to hear form me this week).

Phone cannot be charged or used with headphones in the FrogSuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
You should take some better photos with it, unless your intention is to get a tax writeoff when it fails. Photo quality will make a difference to a lot of people that might be interested otherwise.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pic is not intended as an advertisement but simply to solicit comments. Pics for advertisement will be done by pros.
A tax write-off for going around to marinas.......nooooooo.........never occurred to me.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
There are any number of similar devices available now. What makes this one any different? Also, what is your targeted price point, as this will make or break it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at the other supposedly similar cases and you find major flaws in them. Mine has flaws too but of other kinds. The typical waterproof cases, Lifeproof, Otterbox, etc don't float unless one buys an expensive "life preserver" for it. Oh, good luck finding it when it floats down river and just try putting it in your pocket with that silly life preserver. Oh, you say they are waterproof to 8' for 3 minutes............Really, only 8', for only 3 minutes, not even a nice try. Maybe 50' indef might impress me. WAIT, that Lifeproof or Otterbox costs HOW MUCH, WHAT? I think $35.00 is a good price for mine.
I hate taking that tight fitting cover off my phone to put it in one of those expensive waterproof cases and forget using those cases full time, eventually they fail, at the worst time too. The FrogSuit can be used with that cute cover you bought at Barnes and Noble, no problem and you dont have to try to remove the cute cover.
Ohhhhh, you got one of those with the fancy clamp closures turning it into a funny balloon, I guess it might work till something sharp in your pack punctures it.
Basically, I want my phone to normally be easy to use without a bulky "thing" in the way but when I know it is likely to be submerged, I want it to truly be waterproof and to float and be easy to see and have a lanyard and shock resistant and durable against puncture and have the camera be usable underwater. After my aqueous adventure, I want it to go back to being the sober serious phone of everyday. You don't wear your wetsuit to work so your phone shouldnt wear its FrogSuit to your everyday job (unless you are in the water everyday).
So, how water resistant is it? 12' for a week convinced me but the maker of the waterproof component claims 200' indefinitely. However, the whole thing is soft sided so how deep would your phone go before being crushed. BTW, the waterproof part is replaceable for about $5.00 (the neoprene outer shell is not the waterproof part.)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course, if it will really be submerged for a long time, I reccomend some anti-fouling.................

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the course of my career as a tehno-entrepreneur making x-ray analytical equipment, I have managed to spend obscene amounts of money (my own) on things that either didn't work or never sold well. So, if this thing loses less than $100,000 (or god forbid, generates a profit), it'll be better than most things I invent. How's that for low expectations?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You asked for comments. Here's one: Had I had a prototype of your floating and waterproof phone case on Saturday night while climbing back aboard my boat, I probably wouldn't have had to buy another phone on Sunday morning. Iphone 4S's don't naturally float, and new ones are in the $400 range. :-(

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you can't take a decent picture through the see-through plastic or if the plastic makes it hard to swipe or text, this will be a dud. Can you hear/speak through the "suit"?
Might as well just lock the phone in a dry box until you get back from doing whatever wet thing you are doing.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,073 Posts
I'm going to speak for the 2/3s of other phones out there that don't start with a VOWEL.

How stretchy is it? Because nearly every other brand phone is larger than the iPhone.

Ignore the naysayers. A reasonable product that protects the phone properly from impact AND water, and makes the device still useable is still a wanted product out there, your price point makes it a reasonable alternative as well.

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
I don't see you actually solicited feedback, but you can't avoid it, if you're putting a product out on the market. I agree with the comment above. If its not going to remain fully functional, as if not in a case, there is little point to it over a waterproof box or one of those ziplock bag things. They're 10ish dollar cheap.

To pay up, it needs to preserve function: screen tapping, audio, microphone, camera at a minimum. Those that allow charging or accessory attachment, all the better. From the looks of the picture quality you've said was taken from the case, function seems questionable. The focal point for the camera may be the inside of the case.

Hopefully received as constructive feedback.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the comments. In FrogSuit, the phone is fully functional with the touch screen working very well, you can hear well and the camera works.
You CANNOT charge it or use headphones in FrogSuit........yet. The iPad version will allow use of peripherals and charging.
I dont think that charging is an issue for FrogSuit with a smartphone because most people dont have charging capability on their kayaks/small boats
FrogSuit was inspired by a friend losing his iphone in a LifePRoof case while kayaking. I am sure it is still waterproof somewhere on the bottom of the Econfina River.
BTW, there are currently TWO versions, one for Iphones and one for the Samsung style S3, S4, S5 because the camera lens placement is different for the iphones and S3, S4, S5 and because the Samsung phones are so much larger than the iphone. Might come out with a third version in the next couple weeks for the new very large screen Samsungs and the Motorola clone
I've decided one more version before production.

·
Registered
104 Posts
FWIW, I'm likely going to buy one. I bring my phone sailing, and frequently get wet. I have one of the PVC clamp-closed cases. I don't really care about floating, but it's a huge pain to get my phone in and out of the case (and I'm always worried about punctures). I need the touchscreen to work well, but camera and calls can be fairly marginal. Excellent waterproofness is be nice, but not essential.

(Explanation: I mostly sail in the Hudson by NYC. I'm a member of a sailing club (HRCS), so the boat's not mine, and there are time slots, etc. Given the urban environment, we are frequently out of VHF contact with the clubhouse, so use cell phones for communication somewhat regularly. If I need to make a call, I can always go into the companionway and take my phone out of its case.)

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
I like it. I have an Otter Box and hate it. It takes for ever to put it on, take it off, the belt clip was very fragile and is very bulky. There are good water proof cases for the iPhone, but none for most other brands except for the generic clear bags. I wonder if wireless charging would work thru this case? I currently have an HTC Rezound and have a cracked screen because the Otter Box was such a pain. I am certain it would have saved my phone from the fall, but since it was so bulky I rarely put it on. Seems with its design it could be a few sizes fit most phones kind of thing since neoprene is stretchy.

If you are looking for beta testers sign me up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts