SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sounds crazy, might work!!!!!

Of course, go for it!!!! There are many sailing blogs out there of those who have done just as you are comtemplating. These blogs cover everything from saving to cruisem boat buying/ outfitting, to the day to day events of the actual cruise. These blogs are agreat resource for those looking to disconnect but not sure how all the pieces fit together.

Look forward to reading more entries in the blog as you move your self forward.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TJC45:1063531 said:
Sounds crazy, might work!!!!!

Of course, go for it!!!! There are many sailing blogs out there of those who have done just as you are comtemplating. These blogs cover everything from saving to cruisem boat buying/ outfitting, to the day to day events of the actual cruise. These blogs are agreat resource for those looking to disconnect but not sure how all the pieces fit together.

Look forward to reading more entries in the blog as you move your self forward.
Thanks for that. You are right, it *might* work. I have saved enough to pay off my house, buy a boat and be debt free. I need more for additional running/living expenses. And there are a million other pieces we are missing.

But even if it doesn't ever work, I am still happy with how far we have come. We went from being powerboaters, to learning to sail and getting ASA bareboat certified, to owning a nice little sailing dinghy and having a blast with it. For some that might not be much, but for us it's a nice sense of accomplishment and we are pleased with how far we have come.

·
Master Mariner
9,206 Posts
One thing I'd suggest you consider is to dump as much money as you possibly can into an annuity.
It's so nice getting a check every month, forever!
I have it split into two accounts, with the majority going to the working account and a smaller amount (about 25%) going into the "emergency" account. If the "emergency" account gets too big (can it ever be?), well, wasn't there something we really wanted, but really don't need........?

Reactions: jimgo

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
capta:1063628 said:
One thing I'd suggest you consider is to dump as much money as you possibly can into an annuity.
It's so nice getting a check every month, forever!
I have it split into two accounts, with the majority going to the working account and a smaller amount (about 25%) going into the "emergency" account. If the "emergency" account gets too big (can it ever be?), well, wasn't there something we really wanted, but really don't need........?
I'll look into that thanks. One of my biggest questions is insurance... I have no idea what to do with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts