SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going through hells gate from Nyack. I have Eldridges book. At what point do I want to be in Hells gate, I have heard that slack tide only lasts 4 minutes. Is it okay (safe ) to go through there with the current?

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Chris,
Look at the current charts for NY Harbor/East River in the Eldridge and figure out the High and Low water at the Battery to figure the EXPECTED currents out. The expected currents listed in the Eldridge book do not take into account things like TS Danny or winds that are steady from one direction or another which will skew the tides, sometimes dramatically.
I have rounded Manhattan several times on different boats in calm weather and all I can tell you is to shoot for the slack tide but it is better to err on the side of having the tide (and current) go with you (say an hour after slack gives the tides enough time to build up the current in the direction you want to go).
The Hudson has some significant current but the East River (ER) is much more tidal and it will not be very 'safe' to try and rush up the ER with the current against you, especially if there is a significant east wind that might come with TS Danny which will pile up water in the western LI Sound. During nor'easters, tropical storms and hurricanes the winds are generally quite strong coming out of the east which totally invalidates the current charts in shown in the Eldridge. There may actually be current up the east river if the elements conspire against you.
That said, it is much easier to get up the ER when the current IS flowing the way you want to go IF your engine is up to the task. The current can be 5 knots at its NORMAL peak.
Depending on the moon and the normal times for high and low tides you can actually get into the LI Sound in one day but I would recommend an overnight in NYC at either the Liberty Landing Marina or Pier 40 moorings ($35/night). The moon is the keeper of the tides but a tropical storm trumps all the tidal predictions by half and then some.
What boat are you planning on taking and when? Are you at NBC or another club up that way?
I have a Tartan 27' moored in Nyack at NBC.
It is normally a fun and amazing trip in my experience.
Plan twice or thrice and make your contingency plans for your first trip around. I could help you with this if I knew when you were planning this transit.
My best.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We will be leaving Nyack about 6 or 7 am Monday morning, Aug 31st. Hoping to be at the battery at low tide. We will be leaving from NBC in a catalina 30. How does the timing sound? Any help is appreciated

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
On our trip from the Chesapeake to Mystic and Block Island we hit the East River and Hell gate both ways. We left going to the LI Sound from Atlantic Highlands as the tide was turning in Lower NY Bay. We hit the Battery one hour into the flood went up the Est River at 9+ knots and made 12.1 knots through Hell Gate and made Northport Harbor (a great place) by 5 PM

The way back was even more astounding. We left Port Jefferson ( Mount Misery Cove) at 6AM hot the Throgs Neck at the beginning off ebb tide. Rocketed through Hell gate at 12.4 knots (I have a picture of the SOG on our C80 chartplotter) made the Verazano by 3 on the outgoing tide and kept going to Manesquan.

The trip at 12 knots can be somewhat scarey but need at the same time. Kind of like hitting the icy bridge going 65 mph and not wanting to even touch the steering to hard or the brakes.

Dave

·
Registered
747 Posts
On our trip from the Chesapeake to Mystic and Block Island we hit the East River and Hell gate both ways. We left going to the LI Sound from Atlantic Highlands as the tide was turning in Lower NY Bay. We hit the Battery one hour into the flood went up the Est River at 9+ knots and made 12.1 knots through Hell Gate and made Northport Harbor (a great place) by 5 PM

The way back was even more astounding. We left Port Jefferson ( Mount Misery Cove) at 6AM hot the Throgs Neck at the beginning off ebb tide. Rocketed through Hell gate at 12.4 knots (I have a picture of the SOG on our C80 chartplotter) made the Verazano by 3 on the outgoing tide and kept going to Manesquan.

The trip at 12 knots can be somewhat scarey but need at the same time. Kind of like hitting the icy bridge going 65 mph and not wanting to even touch the steering to hard or the brakes.

Dave
When I was bringing my boat up from Delaware Bay several years ago, I had a similar experience. Never hit 12 knots, but we were over 10and reached 11 knots for a good stretch.
;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts