SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
arrgh!
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read "A Sail of Two Idiots" a howto book written by Renee Petrillo about what she learned on a catamaran. In the boat she and her husband both crew on monohulls, but say they prefer catamaran.

Hopefully I am not starting a war... but I am wondering if there are people sailed one than the other AND decided to go back?

·
arrgh!
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Orthomartin, thanks

I'm not looking to buy one or another.. it's just after reading the book there seemed to be a lot of benefits to a Multi-hull, but the purchase was expensive. Plus there were lots and lots of repairs... but I figure that could happen on any number of hulls.

For me it is a case that I read a book and it opened my eyes to something I had never considered before... and really raised more questions ...

Like one thing I have learned in the last year... the bigger the boat, the bigger the expense. Not just purchase but maintenance.. with more to repair....

Thanks

PS/EDIT: I am guessing with the coverage of the most recent America's Cup... people will be thinking multihulls

·
arrgh!
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most of that was clear in the book, but for the anchoring... it was stable, but they had trouble finding secure anchorage.......

Two motors go as a back up, but also another thing to go wrong

Another thing --- she mentions and people need to think about --- how do you plan to use your boat? Like you have pointed out, entertaining, a cat; Pacific crossing, probably monohull

·
arrgh!
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like the biggest 'Depends' (besides my diaper) is how you want to use the boat... well and your banking statement. The more you want to entertain and do excursions, the more a multi- unless of course you can't afford to pay dockage.

And my main question -- would you go back --- sounds like most people would go back and forth and not deem one better.
tanx

·
arrgh!
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I own a mono, but have chartered several cats. The mono is more fun to sail. But if I were going to live aboard for any length of time, I would choose a cat.

As others mentioned, a cat may be more demanding on your ground tackle--so upsize it. I've heard it said a cat has the accommodations of a mono half again it's length. That's a double edged sword, as it has most of the downsides of a mono half again it's length. (Except for draft)

I also read that book recently. I'm glad I didn't read it before getting some cruising experience--it might have put me off of cruising completely.
In the end of the books she says as much -- wondering if she should have kept her blog private...maybe until she sold the boat.

edit: And I will add there is a part in the book where the husband disregards agreed upon protocol of using a life line if going forward on the boat during a night sail, and waking the crew....

I have a fear of falling off the boat and watching it sail away.... I have a fear of this with a 12 foot boat during the day... and the thought of cruising and it happening... is pretty tough

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.