SailNet Community banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Moody 46
121 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree with capta.
On our Lagoon 440 we had 4 aircon, two scuba tanks and all the gear, 240gal water and watermaker, 170gal fuel, 20hp 4stroke outboard etc etc.
Only time sailing was tough was with winds less than 10kts, and once over 12 we would routinely outperform our Moody 46. At 16-18kt and AWA 110-65 we would do 10-12kts all day and with our Parasailor in winds 20-30 we comfortably sailed downwind 13-14kts day and night.
Galapagos to Marquesas without pushing in 17days!

Our friends on their Catana 47 also fully loaded with goodies would sail even 30% faster than us and could sail well in light air

·
Master Mariner
9,283 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree with capta.
On our Lagoon 440 we had 4 aircon, two scuba tanks and all the gear, 240gal water and watermaker, 170gal fuel, 20hp 4stroke outboard etc etc.
Only time sailing was tough was with winds less than 10kts, and once over 12 we would routinely outperform our Moody 46. At 16-18kt and AWA 110-65 we would do 10-12kts all day and with our Parasailor in winds 20-30 we comfortably sailed downwind 13-14kts day and night.
Galapagos to Marquesas without pushing in 17days!
Our friends on their Catana 47 also fully loaded with goodies would sail even 30% faster than us and could sail well in light air
Well, then you must have the ONLY Lagoon that can actually sail to windward. Any vessel can sail down wind, even a raft! I was speaking of a "sailing" multihull; that means sailing on all points of sail, not just off the wind. A 1200 mile beat up the Red Sea will certainly separate the sailboats from the floating condos.
Not to say there are not cats that sail, but they must be kept light, just like a tri, since they can't spill wind by heeling, they must accelerate and bring the apparent wind forward, or lose sails, the rig or flip.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.