SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
RL24 (Rob Legg)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted the following on the RL forum (RL Trailable Yachts from Rob Legg Yachts), figured I would ask in both places:

Me and my dad took out our 1981 RL24 on the lake last weekend. When we were running the wind went through the cabin and blew out our front hatch, possibly wasn't secured shut. Does anyone know of replacement parts? Was only able to find some really expensive aftermarket front hatches. Otherwise what I was looking at doing was a clear vinyl window and use either a Velcro or zipper setup to secure it. Do you think that would work well or once waves come over the bow would it just blow it out and come rushing in?

·
Sailor
929 Posts
I was trying to see a picture of the hatch which would help me answer but the generic answer is that your forward hatch is important for the seaworthiness of your vessel. I would NOT replace that hatch without the ability to positively lock and seal against water coming over the deck. That is critical to keep your boat afloat! You probably can get a company to repair the hatch including replace the lens which would be preferable if possible. A picture of the present hatch would help.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Wallis
I say this kindly ;) Please get set up with online photo site? I use photobucket.

:worthless:

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I did a quick click search found this. My O30 has a "window" like that, it's like a translucent fiberglass panel on my boat. Was yours clear plexi Wallis?

·
19,488 Posts

·
RL24 (Rob Legg)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about that. This is the one I have for now. Its not parked at my place so I cant get a frontal picture or show it without the hatch. What I meant by blown out is it was blown off by the wind. Sunk before we were able to fish it out. It is basically just a 2x2' square of fiberglass. I will for sure post pics and be more specific next time.

Here is the inside, you can see where it locks in on the front.

·
19,488 Posts
That's a bit of a custom molding... won't be easy to find other than from builder unless you make your own!

·
Sailor
929 Posts
I'm thinking you will need to get comfortable working with fiberglass! Because you have a bend in the hatch, it probably will need to be handmade. Hire a local fiberglass contractor or learn to do it yourself. Maybe you can find something on eBay or Craigslist ??? I don't know what other choices you realistically have.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
RL24 (Rob Legg)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I may have to get a quote from someone. Well thank you for all the input guys! Much appreciated.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Make it yourself.. not as difficult as you may think. You can start with cardboard. or foam board, to make the curve make crosscuts about 1" apart and make the bend to match the old hatch, then cover spray adhesive and vinyl sheet. (contractor bags work. ) make sure it's supported from the inside. (experienced FG people use mold release wax) get plastic tape and do the outer edges, after you have the whole opening filled with a plastic covered form and edges. Lay glass cloth and cut to fit. Take the cloth that's cut and lay it on another flat surface and wet it with resin and hardener. Carefully lay the cut piece on the "form" you made. if the form falls in you didn't support it well enough. Now.. when the glass gets firm and feels just slightly tacky lay more glass cloth and wet out with resin. You will need 3- 4 layers. the last layer should be filled and coated with gelcoat, to smooth surface. ( you could do this all with Poly resin and hardener but epoxy is easier to work with. Epoxy needs paint to protect it from sunlight. Matching the paint is the hard part!

http://smallboatprojects.blogspot.com/2012/06/making-new-fiberglass-parts.html
http://www.diy-fiberglass-boat-repair.com/

http://forums.iboats.com/Boat-Building-Repair/Fiberglass-Cloth
You tube is your friend on this! tons of vids on how to make things out of FG.

Having someone make the hatch will cost more then the boat !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts