SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I'm seeking some comfort that the frozen bilge water I have is a non-isssue. My boat is laid up on the hard in the midwest and must have attracted some water (perhaps through the halyard lines or maybe just plain condensation) that has pooled in the bottom of the bilge. Right now the electric bilge pump is frozen up to its midpoint (hopefully there is no damage when it thaws). Boat is a Catalina 309. When its in the water, I have steadily taken a slight about of water to the bilge, which I assumed was through condensation (boat has AC), however, now I am thinking I might have a leak somewhere.

Any thoughts / advice?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is covered with a canvass cover. Mast might very well be the culprit, but it is deck stepped. Would water be leaking down the compression post?

Batteries disconnected so no concern with the electric pump running. Tried the manual bilge pump as it is starting to thaw, but I think the hose is still frozen in the bilge.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The shaft is dripless so I doubt that is it. And its on the hard.

I agree and thanks to all who chimed in -- likely not catastrophic here. I did give the manual pump a few tries but I dont think it hurt anything. The batteries are disconnected on the electric pump so we're good there.

I liked the blue chalk idea. This leak has been killing me since last season so I need to figure it out now. I dont really want to unstep the mast to figure this one out though -- not that bad of a leak!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.