SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone used a fuel funnel for removing water and dirt from there diesel fuel ? I had plans to drain my fuel tank yesterday and clean the tank, thinking the tank was near empty only to find it was near full. It is a 42 gallon tank. I am looking at this product.

West Marine: Fuel Filter Funnels Product Display

Practical sailor did a reveiw which can be found here.
Fuel Filter Article

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Freesail-

they'll help, if you have some way of transferring the fuel through the funnel and back into the tank...and I would imagine that you could "polish" the fuel in a rough way doing this for an extended period of time... but IMHO, if you can afford the parts to install a proper fuel polishing system, you probably should.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Freesail,

I planned on doing the same thing to get the big chunks and water out at least. I figured it would be better than nothing and a good start. If you beat me to it, let us know how it worked out.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a small pump and enough hose that I could do this. The polishing systems that I looked at, well right now I don't want to afford them. As we all know we can justify anything to ourselves.

It just seemed that the Practical sailor article was so positive and the funnel at $35 cheap, seemed very doable in a couple of hours and would have to improve the condition of my tank and fuel, both of which, I have no idea, how bad or good they are. It just seemed like the prudent thing to do ( clean the tank ). I am just wondering if anyone has used the funnel ?

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I am on this topic has anyone used the Algae-X AFC-705 Fuel Additive ? Is it any good, or is there something better out there ?

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
I've used the fuel funnels and think they're a good idea when you're filling up and would do a good basic job of helping clean up your existing fuel. :) Get the biggest funnel you can afford—makes spills less likely.

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Free...I used that exact filter through the Caribe (and with excellent results based on the crap it filtered) whenever I filled up outside of the USA.
The problm with your proposal is that you need to stir up the crap that is in your tanks to get it all out...then the funnel is quite slow at letting you put the fuel back in.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used the fuel funnels and think they're a good idea when you're filling up and would do a good basic job of helping clean up your existing fuel. :) Get the biggest funnel you can afford—makes spills less likely.
The largest funnel listed says it needs a 2 inch opening. Not sure many have one that big. I thought about the funnel tipping over and was thinking of building a plywood stand that it would sit in and which would support the funnel on deck.

·
19,489 Posts
We removed dirty fuel from our tank through an access port using our vacuum-pump oil changing tank, put it all into jerry cans through a filter medium, mucked out the tank and then returned the fuel to the tank filtering it again. New filters at the same time, of course and things were fine again.

Not full on "polishing" I suppose, and long and messy work, but it does the trick. using the oil changing tank made the removal process very contained, if slow (about 1 1/2 gal/tankful)

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Hey Free,

I'm searching myself for an outside company to come "polish" my fuel (actually I don't really want it back.. they can have it.. i want my tank cleaned...)

anyway... here's someone that may be able to help you with any questions.. in your area... Apparently they polish fuel... I mean.. the internet never lies does it?

APPLICATION ASSOCIATES
252 Lackland Dr., Box488, Middlesex, NJ 08846,
Tel: (800) 327-2247

craig

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bush Pilot trick # 81

As a pilot in the North West Territories we would often use heating fuel, if Jet B was not avaliable in then smaller communities.

The fuel was known as P-40 or P-50 which jells at -35° and -50° respectively (pretty much Jet B). Sometimes the fuel trucks did not have filters, for aircraft use, and we would then run the fuel through a funnel with a very fine wire mesh in the bottom and a Chamois. The fuel flowed surprisingly fast through Chamois and it would remove water and dirt as a backup for the wire mesh in the funnel.

It worked and is not a bad way to filter fuel if you don't know how good it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Should have read the above post first. Oh well.
An old trick of pilots for polishing fuel up here in Alaska was to take a funnel and put a layered chamois with a piece of fine weave cotton cloth over that. The cloth would filter the debris and the chamose would filter out the water. The old time bush pilots up here would do that when filling their planes up from any container. Learned that from my uncle who was an old time bush pilot. Hope this helps someone.
Warren

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Craig, I will give them a call.

Has anyone seen what they want for a 5 gallon diesel container? To drain my tank, I would need 6 more then I have, then where do I store them when I'm done? I already sold the house. I did notice I have what appears to be a galvanized 1.5 inch pipe that must be the vent and it goes into the cockpit locker. I was more concerned with having a small amount of fuel in a large tank, rather then a large amount of fuel going bad in the tank. My thinking is if I pumped the fuel into the funnel and back in for 3 or 4 hours and then treat it, I should have removed a lot of whatever is there. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Freesail,
NAPA has simple inexpensive 12v fuel pumps for 20-25 bucks, get a regular fuel filter and a pump nd build your own fuel polishing system. It would do you a far better job of 'polishing' your tanks, cost about 50 bucks and always be handy for next time. Heck you can run it anytime and clean out your tanks. I've seen truck drivers do it using papertowels for filters, it works, it's cheap and it isn't that hard to build.

Those funnels are great for the odd bit of diesel but really are slower than hell to filter through, if you go that route you better build a stand for it.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Chuck, I am trying to get information off the Napa web site, which keeps asking me for a part number.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I used my spare for my Westerbeake 30b so I don't have a PN for you. Any diesel rated fuel pump good for 20 or so gallons a hour would do. That, some aligator clips for power, a Racor style filter, 8 feet of fuel rated hose and a handful of hoseclamps.
In building mine I got all my parts including bronze 90 elbow joints, three way valves etc from hardware stores instead of WM, saved a bundle.
I mounted all of mine on a plywood board - if you were just a tad closer I'd run it up and loan it too you.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Chuuuuuuuk. Buddy... Chuuuuum... Pal-o-mine

Watcha doin' next weekend....or.... what's your portable fuel polishing kit thingy doing next weekend?

Captain Morgan's .... is that right? What's that? 151?

:)

:)

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Free,
Have you decided how you're going to "agitate" the fuel in the tank so that it carries the contaminants/water/etc. with it and into which ever fuel polishing system you choose?

Or, should I understand your above post to mean that you'll drain the tank and flush it with a gallon or two of that fuel in hopes that this will be enough to loosen the offending particulate matter?

craig

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Craig, I am looking into making a system like Chuckles suggested. I have a 1.5 inch galvanized vent pipe in a cockpit locker and the fill spout. Circulate between the two and change the filters on the polisher as I hear the motor start to strain ( no pun intended ) or every hour of so. I don't plan on draining the tank as I have nothing to pump into. I am not even sure how bad the tank is, but I have a feeling.....

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Free

Maybe you could run a compressed airline down into the tank to agitate the diesel so that the water and other crap get's stirred up... then sucked up... by your polishing system.

My engine runs *PERFECT* until I hit heavy seas. Then, as more crap gets loosened, it'll clog the filters and bog down. I ran for 14 straight hours one day without a hiccup.... in calm seas.

I can't even go 10 minutes if I have 2-3 footers... If I add a few gallons and top off the tank the problem lessens... If I have a half a tank... Fugetaboudit. Stall City. The diesel sloshes around and pulls everything off the walls. (Thanks Sabreman for the tip on the screen at the intake on our boats...will be investigating)

I fear that if I simply cycle the fuel through a polishing system while the boat is at the dock, I won't really cure a thing. I need to get the crap off the sides and bottom of the tank. Do you think you may have the same issue?

Craig

1 - 20 of 24 Posts