SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my catalina 27, equiped with a westerbeke 12c2 about two months ago.
i went to fire her up for the first time (she started up just fine when I bought her) and it turns over but won't start. air intake seems fine, checked voltage and connections for starter and battery, all okay. Onto fuel. Changed the racor (a little hazy in the bottom of the bowl) and inspected secondary filter on engine (new replacement is on order) it is a self bleeding system with electric fuel lift pump. Still no dice.
Since she was just running I wouldn't think the fuel pump would have died.... what else am I missing?
Yes fuel intake is open, shifter in neutral and throttle opened a bit.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
self bleeding systems are not really self bleeding. on the small engines it can take a lot of engine cracking to get fuel to go all the way to the injector. watch out you don't fill the water lift and back flood the engine with water

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like you got an air bubble in the fuel line. Do a thorough job of bleeding the system from racor to the high pressure injector pump. If it still won't start, bleed at the injectors.
You might need to repeat this.
Retighten all fuel line clamps before you start this process.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
You could try just turning the key and let the electric fuel pump run for a minute or two or three, before trying to start it.
Do you have a glow plug?

Do you know if you have a screen at the end of the pick-up tube. That screen can get gunked up. If you have an easy way of disconnecting the fuel line into the primary from the tank and blowing some air back in to the tank ( turkey baster) that can loosen and junk on that screen.

If not fuel, then it's an air leak , as others have mentioned. Did you get the secondary filter seated properly after inspection?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
self bleeding systems are not really self bleeding. on the small engines it can take a lot of engine cracking to get fuel to go all the way to the injector. watch out you don't fill the water lift and back flood the engine with water
I
You could try just turning the key and let the electric fuel pump run for a minute or two or three, before trying to start it.
Do you have a glow plug?

Do you know if you have a screen at the end of the pick-up tube. That screen can get gunked up. If you have an easy way of disconnecting the fuel line into the primary from the tank and blowing some air back in to the tank ( turkey baster) that can loosen and junk on that screen.

If not fuel, then it's an air leak , as others have mentioned. Did you get the secondary filter seated properly after inspection?
I'm going to give this a shot. I got her to at least start today, but it dies when I release the preheat button. so a new set of issues to look at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts