SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced fuel leaks at the secondary filter on the 2gm20F? I replaced the O ring and it did not help. After the engine runs for a few minutes you can feel raw fuel on the bottom of the filter bowl. Also, does anyone know where to get the correct size spanner wrench to tighten/loosen the filter bowl retaining ring? Thanks, Jim Waller

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
I assume you mean the primary (the one attached to the engine), the bleed screw is a common place, it's easy to strip the thread. Try a bit of talc to narrow down the leak point. Shouldn't need a spanner for the bowl ring, just do it hand tight same as your fuel/oil filters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. The filter is the one attached to the engine. I'll double check but everything above the ring seems dry.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
a cheap fix is to switch or flip the copper washers around and retorque the banjo

yes the engine filter is the primary

get new ones while the flipped retorqued washers last for a while

we had great luck with this method sometimes not needing to replace at all

also the banjo fitting eventually leak at the connection so we had new stainless sleeved fuel hoses made at a diesel truck place when cruising...

saved big money over new from yanmar.

cheers

Reactions: jimbob77

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had this problem for years on my 2gm20f. Have tried copper/plastic and both have leaked. I've stripped the bleed screw probably about 5 times and had pump redrilled. One time it was a burr on the pump body that I could barely see. In fact, I am having the problem right now, having changed the filters last week.

To get it sealed requires a combination of luck, patience and lots of washers. That's been my experience for 30 years on the same engine.

ps I've also replaced the whole thing twice. That usually works fine.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Sometimes the O ring gets twisted when replacing. I just use a drift to tighten the bowl retaining ring but becareful not to over tighten....

·
Master Mariner
9,233 Posts
Sounds to me as if you are way over tightening this, if it has an o-ring. You only need to put pressure on the o-ring and stop tightening. By over tightening, you are distorting the o-ring and nothing you can do will stop it leaking.
Find yourself a parts manual and look at the exploded view of the problem and see what is supposed to be there.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
a cheap fix is to switch or flip the copper washers around and retorque the banjo

yes the engine filter is the primary

get new ones while the flipped retorqued washers last for a while

we had great luck with this method sometimes not needing to replace at all

also the banjo fitting eventually leak at the connection so we had new stainless sleeved fuel hoses made at a diesel truck place when cruising...

saved big money over new from yanmar.

cheers
This is a great suggestion. This is on the fuel line entering the filter. A common problem. A leak here will run down the filter body and you think its the O-ring not sealing.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
+1 on not overtightening. In a pinch, those banjo washers can be made from a copper plumbing strap or any smooth piece of copper sheet. In fact one of my banjo washers is still one fabricated like that after dropping the original in the bilge and cursing a lot:). I keep some spares now. It also pays to use a torque wrench on them if you have a small one on board. There IS a torque spec in the shop manual. This avoids over squashing them or stripping the bolt.

·
al brazzi
2,088 Posts
A bit of lithium grease on any seal or oring helps it stay in place and in alignment while seating. gaskets too. it doesn't make the seal per se, it just lets the seal work. Wont hurt the fuel system either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts