SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Ā· Registered
20 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can fix just about anything. Why is it that high pressure fuel pumps are tabu to work on? I had Perkins engines on my tractors and when I suggested fixing a pump problem the parts man turned pale and whispered that I must not think that way. What the hell? If I am sitting in the left arm pit of nowhere how do I get the engine running without having to carry a spare 800 dollar pump? Is there a way to retro to a common rail and piezo injectors?

Ā· Registered
20 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. What got me spooked was the fact that YouTube has almost nothing on the CAV pumps. One guy that did show the pump being torn down made some mistakes but I never found a vid of it running again.

Seems just like what you said. Be damn clean and replace seals and O-rings. The only reason to tear it down is leaks (far as I can tell). If the pump quit working there isn't anything I could fix (except maybe find out why it failed).

My MF 275 is leaking pretty quick now and I thought I'd take a run at doing the pump over. Several hundred bucks for a rebuild might be worth the time especially while on dry land and not on some island a thousand miles from not much!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.