SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the fuel tank out of Hush last week. She has the shoal keel so the tank is a bit different than the regular. Anyway, I noticed like many on the forum that the tank was coated in what looked like roofing tar. The forward section was totally intact the after section has come off and left a oily film in its place. I am thinking that I ought to replace the 25 year old tank with a new one. I contacted Thumper about one and at 2300 dollars, I am going to have to find another source. Anyone in the southeast US that has a tank built to their liking???? If so, please give me the contact information for the builder.

I would love to have the factory build me one but I quite frankly don't understand the pricing....Thanks.

·
Maine Dub
215 Posts
I had a heavier aluminum one welded in Maine and it ended up costing $3000. I would inspect the inside and if ok barrier coat the out side and have it re coated with truck bed liner. If there is no corrosion inside or out it should be ok.

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
I believe Thumper had turned me onto a fellow in Costa Mesa, Ca who originally made the factory Aluminum tanks. I even spoke with this fellow in Costa Mesa but cannot recall the name of his company or phone number. Perhaps Thumper can recall this company's name as when I spoke to him he still had all the original templates to fabricate a new aluminum tank and as I recall it was way cheaper than $3200. Given this fellow had all the templates he would not even need to measure anything. Just build and ship it out to you. I'm guessing Thumpers price is for one built out of glass or stainless plus PSC markup. If the aluminum one lasted this long then another aluminum one should last the remainder of the life of the boat.

I just looked it up and it could be the following:

Berry Marine Tanks (in Costa Mesa)
(949) 548-3613

I think this is the fellow who made the original tanks in my '88 PSC 34'

Hope this helps !!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have found a tank manufacture called Florida Tank Manufacturers. There offices are in Miami Florida but they build in North Carolina. I send them a pdf with a drawing of my tank and they have given me an estimate of $600 for a 1/8" thick tank or 850 for a 1/4 inch thick tank. Add $200 for a anticorrosive coating and shipping and you have a new tank. Waiting for two other companies to give me a quote.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Do you PSC owners just love/need to spend thousands on everything? Why not use off the shelf tanks? Can the fit and build be that strange you can't use "standard"?

When the alum tank in my boat was seeping like the OP's tank mentioned above we used a somewhat smaller but very easy to fit 19 gallon tank. (less then a $100) New fuel pump, lines, tank, etc all less then $200 :)

I see no reason to use metal tanks anymore. maybe I'm just weird that way.

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
The bow tank in my 95 37' was built by Mil I Precision Corp in Garden Grove. Looks like they are still in business.

Denise 030 I don't want to spend any money let alone thousands. The bow tank in my 37 would have to be custom to get the same volume while maintaining the ease of access/removal....something I am willing to pay more for.

When the time come I will certainly look at plastic as an alternative.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Almost no one ever posts photos of these tanks they all love to keep no matter what make boat. so I don't know.. I do know that the custom tank Oday used was like duh! Out it came. Replaced it with about 8 gals smaller. Now on motor sailors... yeah big tanks. big bucks..

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
If a tank that was custom built for the boat lasted this long then another tank built by the same manufacturer with newer coatings who has the original templates to build the tank for a perfect fit makes best sense of all.

If someone new builds a tank to rough dimensions then it may not fit as well or have the same volume as original.

In my case I am 55 years old. If my original tank lasted since 1988 then I'll be long gone by the time a new aluminum non coated tank gives out.

I use same approach with the other items on the boat. Refrigeration, Head, rigging, electrical.

Best thing about this approach is everything fits perfect. Even my Adler Barbour refrigeration used the same mounting holes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fuel tank on the PSC 34 was designed to be in the bilge centerline perfectly centered above the keel. This adds a bit to the ballast and uses space that may not be used otherwise. As for the use of "off the shelf" plastic tanks. Yes you could find a tank (I have) that will fit in the bilge. Problem: Loss of nearly 40 percent of tank volume. The tank installed in the PSC is designed to fit along the contour of the hull. It tapers and fits perfectly in the space allocated.

As for plastic vs aluminum, I do not think plastic tanks are acceptable for use in a blue water boat. The thought of being 1000 miles from land having 27 gallons of fuel sloshing about in what amounts to a thick milk jug is scary to say the least.

My aluminum tank has lasted 25 years now and if I wasn't doing preventative replacement would probably last a few more years on top. A new aluminum tank, which will only cost me $700 is a wise investment in money and piece of mind. Spending a couple extra $$ to keep the design characteristics Mr. Crealock developed is worth it to me.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Sounds like a challenge…easily met now that I'm at home.

Here it is before dropping into the hole:

And after installation:

Nice Dale! Looks like an even larger tank can fit!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
The fuel tank on the PSC 34 was designed to be in the bilge centerline perfectly centered above the keel. This adds a bit to the ballast and uses space that may not be used otherwise. As for the use of "off the shelf" plastic tanks. Yes you could find a tank (I have) that will fit in the bilge. Problem: Loss of nearly 40 percent of tank volume. The tank installed in the PSC is designed to fit along the contour of the hull. It tapers and fits perfectly in the space allocated.

As for plastic vs aluminum, I do not think plastic tanks are acceptable for use in a blue water boat. The thought of being 1000 miles from land having 27 gallons of fuel sloshing about in what amounts to a thick milk jug is scary to say the least.

My aluminum tank has lasted 25 years now and if I wasn't doing preventative replacement would probably last a few more years on top. A new aluminum tank, which will only cost me $700 is a wise investment in money and piece of mind. Spending a couple extra $$ to keep the design characteristics Mr. Crealock developed is worth it to me.
Well, the 1st post you made was quite a bit different then this one. Cost was the issue. Now in this post, cost is not a concern. and you are going to be 1000's of miles offshore....

You had seepage from an aluminum tank already, and now you know that aluminum is not "forever" either. (condensation, electrically conductive, algae and sludge issues.)

The mfg's that make plastic tanks do have certifications on their products so maybe someone thinks they are a bit more then milk jugs?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fail to understand why some feel the need to argue about points made on this forum. I am sorry if I offended sailors with fuel tanks made of plastic. I simply do not have the confidence to take a plastic fuel tank off-shore or away from the continental US. It is an issue of durability, longevity and fit/capacity.

As for my original post, I simply wanted to know if any fellow PSC owners had success replacing their aging fuel tanks with a tank other than the $2300 one offered at the factory. I want to maintain the design characteristics of the boat. Why should I sacrifice quality and fit in components for a couple hundred dollars?

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Hush,

I agree with u and have found that this is often a place where people want to force their opinion.

When I spoke to Thumper at one time for a quote on a new tank I was informed that they were building tanks out of a different material which is why the tank from PSC costs so much more than the Aluminimum my 1988 34' came with. That is exactly why I tried to find the source of the original tank which was the fellow in Costa Mesa. He built 100's of them.

I would also be a little bit reluctant to use a plastic tank unless it was a 1/4" think minimum. Chafing could easily wear thru a plastic tank in my estimation. But who am I to speculate.

Good luck on the tank !

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
One word to keep in mind with metal tanks; "Electrolysis" I can happen over many years or in a few weeks! That is why I went with a "milk carton"

There are good and bad issues to both types of tanks. I was, trying to be helpful and suggest a lower cost alternative.

Sorry you are all getting so defensive! if you don't like answers you don't want to hear don't post questions on a open forum!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you PSC owners just love/need to spend thousands on everything? Why not use off the shelf tanks? Can the fit and build be that strange you can't use "standard"?

Denise, Perhaps you don't read your post before you hit the send button. Your intro paragraph was sarcastic, not informative. It would be the same if I replied to you by saying. Why are you O'day owners so cheap? Why not put something that is quality built on your boat? Wouldn't it be nice to have some thing that isn't built like crap on your boat?

Your so called information would be obvious to anyone on these forums. I wanted information on custom tank builders not suggestions to compromise the quality of my vessel.

Say hi to Joan for me:)

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Good luck hope, you find what is eating the your metal tank/s

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, the 1st post you made was quite a bit different then this one. Cost was the issue. Now in this post, cost is not a concern. and you are going to be 1000's of miles offshore....

You had seepage from an aluminum tank already, and now you know that aluminum is not "forever" either. (condensation, electrically conductive, algae and sludge issues.)

The mfg's that make plastic tanks do have certifications on their products so maybe someone thinks they are a bit more then milk jugs?
Practical Sailor did an article on tanks and if I remember correctly they did not like aluminum tanks for water or fuel. At least you don't have to rip the boat apart to replace them a la Island Packet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.