SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on a good replacement for this Racor fuel/water separator on a (new to me) S2 9.C. I haven't actually found the engine tag yet, but I believe it's a 2GM20F based on my pictures and countless searches. The person giving me the boat says a piece of the housing broke a year or two ago and he hasn't run the engine since. I have a friend who is much more knowledgeable than I am about diesel who will help me, and in the end I may hire an expert. But first I wanted to ask the internet and learn.

Attachments

· Registered
Moody 376
473 Posts
Reaction score
Good opportunity to upgrade to a Racor 500 series filter.
What makes the racor 500 better? I just redid the fuel system on my boat and I went with the racor spin on style filter ten and two micron in series....

Just curious.

If it was me I’d just buy a new spin on filter and racor filter base That matches the one you have since the fuel lines and fittings are already there. The brown racor designates a two micron element

· Registered
3 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What makes the racor 500 better? I just redid the fuel system on my boat and I went with the racor spin on style filter ten and two micron in series....

Just curious.

If it was me I’d just buy a new spin on filter and racor filter base That matches the one you have since the fuel lines and fittings are already there. The brown racor designates a two micron element
My first preference is always to replace like for like and then figure out if something ia better. But I havent been able to find this exact model at racor site. There are similar metal ones but none that seem identical.

· Registered
Moody 376
473 Posts
Reaction score
My project boat had a CAV separator, and it split to two lines one going to a 2um racor spin on for the gen and a 2um spinon for the enginem. Both engine and Gen has their own canister style filters as well

when I overhauled the engine bay I got rid of the cav separator added a racor 10um filter as my first filter, then it went to the 2um racor, then to the engine/gen mounted filters.

The engine/gen mounted filters are in the 4-7um range, so I hope to never to have to really change them for a long time since there is a 2um filter upstream of each of them. the generator has a spin on which is easy but the engine(4108) has a canister style, which makes bleeding a real PITA...

the newer spin on filters, are slightly different from the old ones. but if I remember correctly the hose fittings were interchangeable.

I believe, the difference between the spin on type filter bases is the fuel flow rate, wether you want a priming pump, and then you just decide on 2(brown), 10(blue) or 30(red) um filter.

Attachments

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Reaction score
Looks like a Racor 200 series filter. Decent unit with built in priming pump. I would just replace it with another one.
Those older two-part Racor's had two O rings to leak air, and their "priming pump" plunger was prone to leakage. The casting of the body itself can also develop cracks as it ages. Boat builders installing small diesels bought these by the car load in the 80's, and Ericson (builder of our boat) did too. The 500 series uses a less-expensive filter element (and installs from the top so that little diesel is spilled while doing a change) and seals up a lot more securely. That photo in the first post looks like the model I replaced after 20 years, and later was replaced with a Racor 500.

Having a minuscule "vacuum leak" develop while you away cruising for several weeks, and spending a day trouble shooting it, was not any fun at all.
I seldom even start to slightly disagree with JimsCal, but will reluctantly do so, this one time. :)

Fittings: with a new filter body, you will need to match the filter with your hose sizing. That said, if your hoses are 20+ years old, it's time to replace them also. Been there D. T., but there was no T shirt. My project: O34 - New Location: Racor & Lift Pump

· Registered
5,525 Posts
Reaction score
Don't disagree with you olson34 that the Racor 500 is a good filter. I have a 200 series filter on my boat and haven't had the issues you describe. Yes the spin-on filter elements are bit pricier, but the 500 series filter units cost is almost twice that of a 200 series unit. I have no problem recommending them both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts