SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Reaction score
The issue with the oil is, it floats. Too bad too or maybe noone would have know about the spill. All is not lost, there are microbes in the sea that eat oil. In fact long before we came tapping the oil, it leaked naturally into the water, and was eaten by these microbes.
Actually the problem with most of the BP oil is that it did not float as it was hit with disbursing agents that apparently caused it to sink, where rather than being naturally disposed of, it is sitting in huge tar like mats on the ocean floor and slowly drifting around.

I'm sure the Gulf of Mexico will recover, I'm just not sure it will be in our lifetimes.

The biggest thing making me a cynic was seeing oil in all of the places we were later told no oil made it to.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Reaction score
If you want really big numbers get this one 10^82 or 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 that is the current guess on number of atoms in the universe. I say guess, because we still have not found the end of the universe. It may be unending :)
And, if we did find the end, what would we call whatever is past the end? :D

To me, one of the most humbling things I can do, is lie on my deck in an anchorage completely away from artificial light, and see how many damn stars there are up there, and how long it has all been there, and what we are in relation, and how arrogant we are to think we are in control of anything.

I think about about us arguing endlessly about things like global warming and politics for years, and then about the time we decide what's what about it all, an asteroid comes by and smacks us for being in its way and wipes us out. :D

Reactions: fryewe

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Reaction score
the odds of an asteroid hitting us large enough to wipe us out is incalculable.
All but the people relying on money from jobs in the space tracking field will tell you its a very remote chance. Not even enough to worry about.
Tell it to the dinosaurs. :D

Reactions: casey1999
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.