SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is anyone out there in and around the North Pacific with some experience on the water over the years noticing a change in the quantity, distribution, and health of the sea-life?

I can't find much that'd I'd consider reliable in the mainstream press, and most of the alternative journals & blogs I read leave little in the way of hope.

Thanks.

Edit: 5/9/14

I just found one of the more recent articles I'd read, from an Australian sailor/racer who's crossed the Pacific numerous times. The article seeming to implicate overfishing as the problem, but then he made this rather grim statement about half-way thru the article:

"The next leg of the long voyage was from Osaka to San Francisco and for most of that trip the desolation was tinged with nauseous horror and a degree of fear.

"After we left Japan, it felt as if the ocean itself was dead," Macfadyen said.

"We hardly saw any living things. We saw one whale, sort of rolling helplessly on the surface with what looked like a big tumour on its head. It was pretty sickening."

"I've done a lot of miles on the ocean in my life and I'm used to seeing turtles, dolphins, sharks and big flurries of feeding birds. But this time, for 3000 nautical miles there was nothing alive to be seen."

Here's the article: The ocean is broken | Newcastle Herald

· Registered
156 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Beyond my original post, here are another two articles that have me wondering about what is really going-on:

Sea Star Melt Disease: Why Are Starfish Melting? | EcoWatch

Seal Die-Offs Bering Sea: NOAA Declares Ringed Seal Deaths an Unusual Mortality Event - KTUU.com

The sea stars are a concern because of how low they are in the food chain. The seal deaths are a concern, because as an 'alpha species', their symptoms are indicative of radiation poisoning (loss of fur/pelt/hair and open skin sores)

I appreciate the thoughts of those on this forum, however, I've enough of an education and research background to know: science is as much about politics as research, statistics can easily be and are often cooked, and scientific 'critical thinking' is often used to obscure common sense in the interest of political objectives.

My question again (and I know I sound like an A-Hole right now, but this is quite serious), is anyone who actually has sailed and currently sails the North Pacific, both now and over the decades, noticing anything concerning sea life health, density, and distribution?

I know the information I'm asking for is antidotal, but I don't care.

Up until 125 years ago, frickin germ theory was still under debate by the 'best and brightest', though the microscope was available for a few centuries before even that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.