SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,943 Posts
Reaction score
I think nuclear power is to coal power what air travel is to car travel.

In general nuclear power is much cleaner and safer than coal power. But when nuclear power goes wrong, it does it in a big big way that gets a lot of press coverage.

Similarly, in general air travel is much safer than car travel. But when air travel does go wrong, it goes wrong in a big way and we get 24/7 coverage on CNN.

· Registered
2,943 Posts
Reaction score
There is no doubt that some published science is junk, the peer review process is not perfect. There is also no doubt that the reporting in the popular press often does science a disservice.

But using that to dismiss the vast majority of science? WTF, do you believe in gravity, or is that a science conspiracy too? Most (97%) climate researchers believe humans are warming the planet.

I'm a fan of nuclear power. I think the popular press does science a disservice when it hypes the danger or radioactivity. Yes, radioactivity can be harmful, but not in the doses that power plants put out. Coal plants put out more radioactivity that nuclear power plants.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.