SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
Its no big deal at all. The underwater detonations in the 50's and 60's irradiated more water then fukoshima ever could. There has been no rise in the background radiation in the air on the west coast, and not even in japan some 60 miles from the plant. Its not a very big deal, and very small next to even the russian meltdown.

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
I dare say there a places in the Pacific that even today you would not want to visit.
they should all be fine by now. Low enough that it is no different then watching a tube tv, or standing by the microwave. I might not be a great sailor, but I am a great scientist.

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
You mean NRC makes us properly dispose of our radiative waste of C14 and H3 is just for the show. The cost of disposal of a 55 gal drum is way over 10 grands. We could just turn on the tap and flush down the drain. Hey our ocean is huge, they can't detect that.

That was BP said that too about their oil. :)
The issue with the oil is, it floats. Too bad too or maybe noone would have know about the spill. All is not lost, there are microbes in the sea that eat oil. In fact long before we came tapping the oil, it leaked naturally into the water, and was eaten by these microbes.

On the radiation, your right. dumping 55 gallon drums into the ocean would not be all too bad, as long as it was not in one area. There are even theories that dumping our nuclear waste into the trench in the pacific would do so little harm, that we would never notice. That is true, however as a good scientist I see the value in spent nuclear fuel. It can be reprocessed and reused, just ask france.

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
Would you stop calling yourself a GOOD scientist in a sailing forum? It does not make your statement stands out more. ...........LOL
That is true, however as an evil scientist I see the value in spent nuclear fuel. It can be reprocessed and reused, just ask france.
I fixed it.

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
But how can you tell them apart?
there are two types of scientists. Independent and greedy.

The greedy one says "the sky is falling, if we research it enough we may be able to stop it" So they get funding for sky falling research. essentially there job and income depend on what they say. If they say "the sky will no longer fall" then job over, out of work. If they say, sky still falling, you can do this to help, but we need more research money, then the job goes on. You can see how that works.

Then you have a scientist like myself. I sit about all day, for free, and read research papers, and published research. I check it for accuracy. There is so much nonsense today that is published, and then rescinded its unreal. Then later I hear in a news story about the research that is rescinded.

EG I could say all monkeys are white, sign it, and send it in. It would be published, then rescinded. Because they publish all the utter nonsense they receive anymore. they even have a computer program assembling words, and then submit them. Its so they can claim to be published. Rant over. Anyway, that is how you can tell, and that is why human caused global warming is junk science, so is most endangered species research. Pacific and Atlantic garbage patch is junk science. I could go on for pages about scientists who's sole goal is to raise money and publish rubbish. :puke

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
Stop in Mururo Atoll in the South Pacific and do some research for us.

Mururoa fallout worse than first thought | Stuff.co.nz.
After 20 years on the surface rads should be low. I would go in, in a protective suit, until mesurements were taken. At the very least you will want respiratory protection and a dosimeter. you will also want to cover your feet. I am guarantee the sand is still radioactive. you could however walk about there with mild caution. As far as the geological aspect, I don't know. 15 meter high tsunami seems a bit of an overstatement to me. I would have to see the research to be sure.

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
The "stuff" article sort of validates UP's point.

It's a hodgepodge of nonsense. It confuses radiation and radioactivity and dose and mass. It tries to establish relationships between measurements at disparate places and times while characterizing the measurements in terms of multiples of allowable limits rather than quantities.

One wonders if the author is being artfully confusing because his average reader is a layperson who doesn't understand or whether he/she is simply uneducated.
Yes, this is a gem:
"But in Tahiti there is also a fall-out of plutonium 500 times higher than the maximum dose that a human being can have."
this one too:
The documents show that the explosions have left a residual mass of about 500 kilogrammes of plutonium 239. It is extremely toxic and has to be contained for 240,000 years before it can enter the wider environment.
We don't even fully understand nuclear decay yet on Isotopes with more then 10,000 year half lives. that research is based on speculation, not observation. To say a quater million years is highly deceptive. Also if it is indeed PU-239 then lets go get it. We can sell that for some good money to some powerplants. $4 a miligram!!!!!!! thats $2,000,000,000 worth of PU-239 woohoo! I am going to suit up and.... wait, who wrote this report? seriously, that is worth more then gold. $4000 a gram vs $16 a gram. Is anyone else seeing this?

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
Most (97%) climate researchers believe humans are warming the planet.
REALLY? If they all said humans were not warming the planet, would they have jobs? Also where is this 97% figure coming from?

But using that to dismiss the vast majority of science? WTF, do you believe in gravity, or is that a science conspiracy too?
If I had the solution for gravity theories I would have a noble prize. the best theory so far is space pushes us onto the planet. (to make it really really basic) However gravity is far from solved. Heck we are so far from understanding even the basic things, that is what makes it so interesting. I can't wait for some answers that will most likely not even come in m lifetime. I am impressed that we have broken the speed of light (or more specifically found something faster then light) But even that raises even more questions!!! sorry, so exciting.
Global warming BTW is not a conspiracy in the classic sense. Its just people lying to protect their own job. I see people doing it all day, no matter if they are a scientist or not!

If my job was to read the worlds only thermometer and if it said less the 80F then I lose my job, would I see it say 79, or would I say it was 80 on a chilly day. I bet some of those scientists believe it is caused by humans. As scientists we go into looking at data with an assumption many times. Its human nature to be partial. Money makes them see what they need to see. I thought climategate would help you laypeople see that the data is very fuzzy at best.

Listen, cops don't steel money, CFO's don't cook the books, every stock IPO is honest, and The dress code at work calls for pink tutus on the men, and women must go topless. Everyone lies. Some get caught today, others get caught tomorrow.

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
My question again (and I know I sound like an A-Hole right now), is anyone who actually has sailed and currently sails the North Pacific, both now and over the decades, noticing anything concerning sea life health, density, and distribution?
Personal observation is not science. Its like asking an old person about the weather, they all either go, "well sonny, storms in my day were worse" or "well sonny, today there is very odd weather. In reality neither has a clue, because most memorys are flawed, and its based on one persons observations. I may sail thru the north pacific and see 500 whales, someone else may see none. In reality animal counting is very speculative. Unless they attach trackers to every whale, and every time a new whale is found, they put on a new tracker, they have no idea.
Apply this logic to small mammals, and you can see, its pure speculation.

the first link has this in it:
If nothing else, the crisis is a reminder
weasel words. To call a few starfish dieing a crisis is just audacious journalism.
They also do not link to any real scientific studies.

second link is old, and then I found this with a little google search.
Months later, Arctic ring seal deaths leave scientists flummoxed | Alaska Dispatch
At this point, scientists do not believe that radiation is a primary factor in this unusual mortality event or that radiation is causing the symptoms and deaths in pinnipeds,"
so no, the ultra low radiation levels from japan are not having a global impact. Nor will they. The nice thing about the ocean being 326,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons is it takes a crap load to pollute the whole thing.
Fun math time.
6 billion people on earth
15,000 gallons of water in a lifetime.
90-120 trillion gallons of water will be consumed over the next 80 years.
thats 90,000,000,000,000
vs 326,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons

we each have allocated 54billion gallons of salt water on earth.
So when you dump say 1 billion gallons of water into the ocean even if it was 100% contaminated (and its not that much, and not that contaminated)
thats just 1 part per 33 billion. more likely it will work out to 1 part per 10,000 quadrillion so no, mr seal and mrs starfish have nothing to worry about unless they swim to japan, and swim in the water outside the plant.
Have fun with the big numbers :)

If you want really big numbers get this one 10^82 or 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 that is the current guess on number of atoms in the universe. I say guess, because we still have not found the end of the universe. It may be unending :)

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
I think about about us arguing endlessly about things like global warming and politics for years, and then about the time we decide what's what about it all, an asteroid comes by and smacks us for being in its way and wipes us out. :D
the odds of an asteroid hitting us large enough to wipe us out is incalculable.
All but the people relying on money from jobs in the space tracking field will tell you its a very remote chance. Not even enough to worry about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.