SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THis is just a fun and cheap little project. I purchased these lights from Amazon:

Generic LED Strip light, Waterproof LED Flexible Light Strip 12V with 300 SMD LED, 3258 Cool White. 16.4 Foot / 5 Meter. With 3M Adhesive Back. By Olympic Lighting - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51ZlD6CkfzL

They were less than $10.

I had a leftover piece of PVC pipe about three four feet long. I drilled a hole in the middle and snaked a cord through it (I also had a 12v adapter leftover). I connected this and wound the lights around the pvc tubing.

Plugged it all in and I will tell you, that thing is BRIGHT and only pulls like 2 amps.

Anyways, kindof a cheesy light project but really lights up the cockpit (And it is super cheap). Just thought I would share.

Brian

PS I tried it with the non-waterproof lights before this and they only lasted a few months. They are about the same price, so get the waterproof ones.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Brian,

Those are great. I put something similar on the underside of the bar that connects the dinghy davits.

They even come with double sided sticky tape. Installation is very simple. I think the wiring + switch cost as much as (if not more than) the actualy light.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
690 Posts
I did the same thing last season stitching a LED rope to my bimini. I hard wired it to a switch on the pedestal. Cost maybe $20 and works great. Really lights up the cockpit for dinner.
Jim

·
Registered
90 Posts
If those work well I would look at some red ones to see how they affect night vision.
You can get some on eBay that are multi color and dimmable

About $25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I recommend getting a color that is yellowish white.

The white ones are like being in a hospital. And they even have a touch of very cold blue in them.

If you haven't spent much time considering LED colors, this won't make sense to you, but the pure white ones are tough on the eyes.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recommend getting a color that is yellowish white.

The white ones are like being in a hospital. And they even have a touch of very cold blue in them.

If you haven't spent much time considering LED colors, this won't make sense to you, but the pure white ones are tough on the eyes.

Regards,
Brad
Very true , usually the warm white is nicer than a regular or cool white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Señor Member
576 Posts
If you are looking at sites that really get into specifics of the LEDs, look for 'color temperature'. The warm white will be about 3000*Kelvin or less. The cold bluish white is paradoxically around 6000*K. (* = degrees)

·
2,449 Posts
I found a chart online comparing the output from a lightbulb to LED lumen ratings

Watts Lumens
100 1750
75 960
60 900
40 480
25 200

1 - 10 of 10 Posts