1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Whilst the advertisement sure grabs your attention, can't say it does much for encouraging folks to buy from the man. After all, if I had to meet the guy to sign off on everything... yeah, I'd be thinking twice about whether the boat was worth $5K and having to deal with a rant in person ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hate to admit it, but I read the whole stinking add.
However, I think he's on to something without even knowing it; A story for a sales pitch.
A story literary orders of magnitude beyond the author's ken; something with sailing lore, self sufficiency, and the possibility of impressing a new found romantic interest.
Dick

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A story literary orders of magnitude beyond the author's ken; something with sailing lore, self sufficiency, and the possibility of impressing a new found romantic interest.
Yeah... but I think the ad in question is as far from inspiring "a new found romantic interest" in sailing as I am from buying his boat. ;)

Though I hear you on selling story & lifestyle rather than the boat itself. The boat is a means to an end, so best to sell "the end" itself.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Alcohol laden milk from the nipple of your pregnant girl friend?

This guy hangs out with the wrong crowd.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm wondering if he's parodying that Jeep ad from a while back. The ad's been pulled, but someone on another forum copied the text.

WARNING!(1)
Keyboard/monitor hazard. Put the beverage down.

WARNING!(2)
Non-political-correctness ahead. If strong opinions plainly stated get your knickers in a twist, do not read this ad.

If you can use a good laugh:

"Not for You"

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,421 Posts
OK, I read the whole ad and it made my morning. I love a good rant. I'd like to meet the guy, but I'm afraid I may have some of his disqualifications.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think the ad is genius! It's entertaining and it will probably scare off most of the non-serious responders who will bog him down with endless requests for photos and information about a boat for which they have no intention of paying $5000. OTH, if I lived nearby, I'd respond just to meet the delightfully deranged soul who wrote the ad.

·
Registered
57 Posts
He certainly has a literary "gift" and a unique perspective concerning salesmanship! Would I buy his boat, probably not. Was I amused by his take? Absolutely!
Jeff

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
I'm wondering if he's parodying that Jeep ad from a while back. The ad's been pulled, but someone on another forum copied the text.
You might well be right.. but that Jeep ad is clever, apparently truthful and above all not overly insulting - whilst the boat ad is simply idiotic patronising twaddle.

In these days of adverts talking up just about every aspect of a wreck simply to get above the noise, it's nice to think some might try no-holds-barred-truthfulness. I hope it worked for the Jeep owner even at the cost of a beer or three. This other guy, maybe not...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Seems like he's aiming to win "Best of Craigslist" or some recognition for a humorous and crazy post. There's a lot of those out there in the car ads.

He wasted a lot of time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That ad was awesome.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
1) I forget where I saw it, but there was a motorboat for sail and the picture of the stern said: "Chicks Dig It" Next boat I sell will be called: "Chick Magnet"

2) but my favorite boat ad was on Put In Bay (Ohio) another motorboat

The sign out front said: "Free Boat"

In really small print: "with the purchase of this $200,000 cottage"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts