SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my headsail back on and notice an odd and uneven gap in part of the furler.

Sky Water Vehicle Naval architecture Mode of transport

I don't have pictures from last year showing this level of detail so can't be sure how it was then. But the fact that I saw it immediately makes me think it's wasn't like this. Over the winter I greased it and made sure everything looked OK. When I hoisted the sail, I pulled the halyard about 4-5 inches past the mark from last year, but there is no vertical crease in the jib so I don't think it's too tight. The halyard was new last season so I assume it could have stretched slightly - it's Samson XLS3 so nothing special.

I furled and unfurled the sail and it works fine. I tried removing the screws in the black cap and reseating it but nothing changed. Its purpose is to hold the track in place and it's doing that.

Can't find anything in the manual.

Anyone have this furler and seen something similar? Any ideas if I did something wrong and what I should do to fix it?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I do have the manual and followed the instructions on page 43 when I lubricated the furler during the winter.

There really isn't much that can be adjusted and I don't see anything in the manual that specifically addresses the gap between what they call "the black adapter" and the rest of the lower bearing assembly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Head Hand Arm Leg Jaw

What's the Wire leading downward from the Shackle ?
The manual refers to it as the pre-feeder - it helps to guide the luff into the groove. You are supposed to remove it when the sail has been hoisted but the previous owner had stored it as shown in the picture so I just kept doing it that way.

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
View attachment 143299

The manual refers to it as the pre-feeder - it helps to guide the luff into the groove. You are supposed to remove it when the sail has been hoisted but the previous owner had stored it as shown in the picture so I just kept doing it that way.

Is there a lot of tension on it? If so, that could be what's pulling you up. ? I remove mine after the sail gets raised. It has no use after that. Until next year.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Is there a lot of tension on it? If so, that could be what's pulling you up. ? I remove mine after the sail gets raised. It has no use after that. Until next year.
Thanks for the suggestion - there is no tension on the pre-feeder.

Maybe this is normal - I found a picture online that appears to show the same thing. I think I'm OK.

Water Sky Cone Liquid Auto part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts