SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After some research about radar and seeing the prices :eek: for this stuff... I've got a decision to make. I could go with a complete radar and plotter or a dedicated radar only as I have iPad and handheld GPS and charts.

New sails... stand alone radar.
Big fancy radar system... 30 year old sails.

I'm looking at the Furuno 1715 for a stand alone radar, mounting it on the mast. Does anyone have or are familiar with this unit who can give me some insight to it? Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I don't have any experience with this particular unit but I do have an older JRC standalone unit on my boat that works just fine. The main benefit of the integrated systems is the ability to overlay the radar image on a chart. Some find that feature more useful than others and there are a lot of threads on here discussing the pros and cons of overlay. FWIW, combo packs with plotter and radome like the Garmin 740s, Ray e7, or Simrad NSS7 often go on sale for around $1800, which is not much more than the 1715.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I would go the route of new sails/standalone radar, but I would want to make sure it can connect to a plotter system in the future. Seems you might regret getting something that can't be networked with a system. Simrad's seem to be getting good press lately.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Do the cheapo radar and enjoy new sails. Hands down.

I have an older, grey scale only, LCD Furuno on a small power boat. It's fine. Most of the time I'm interested in short range anyway in the fog.

Yea, simpler electronics and new sails.

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
Hi All,

After some research about radar and seeing the prices :eek: for this stuff... I've got a decision to make. I could go with a complete radar and plotter or a dedicated radar only as I have iPad and handheld GPS and charts.

New sails... stand alone radar.
Big fancy radar system... 30 year old sails.

I'm looking at the Furuno 1715 for a stand alone radar, mounting it on the mast. Does anyone have or are familiar with this unit who can give me some insight to it? Thanks

Dave
I would go a few hundred dollars more and for less tha 2k get a radar plotter combo from Raymarine or Garmin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts