SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the process of replacing a badly frayed copper braided wire that runs from the backstay to one of the keep bolts on my 1969 Arpege. I understand that this is the bond/ground for the rigging.

About half way along the wire there is what looks like a terminal block (just on the starboard side of the motor). The wire from the backstay terminates there and a new wire starts from there are runs to the keel bolt.

Hopefully that picture worked (first time loading an image).

Anyway, what looks like a terminal block actually isn't. It isn't continuous and so is actually a break in that circuit. It actually kind of looks like a fuse holder, but why would you put a fuse in this ground wire?

Any idea what belongs there? Fuse? surge suppresor? something else?

Should I just jumper across it to make the ground continuous?

Thanks
~Fortunat

·
Registered
45 Posts
Heythe photo isnt there when I looked. Let me know if you get an answer to your question. I am buying an arpege, waiting for it be delivered as we speak.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Sounds like someone got creative and installed a lightning protector (i.e. polyphaser) between the rigging and the keel bolt, so the rigging would NOT be a part of the bonding, and would NOT be grounded to the keel, but a lightning strike could easily jump the gap and still exit by the keel.

Whatever it is, it isn't normal and doesn't sound useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts