SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My charger (Xantrex Trucharge 20) connects to the battery bank with 8 ga. wire and a 30 amp fuse is specified. The 8 ga. is much too big for a standard in-line fuse holder. Blue Seas (among others) has quite a confusing array of different fuse types. I am not sure what the best fuse holder would be for this application. Can anybody advise me on which to use?

While we're at it, what about a fuse (or fuseable link) for the battery bank (2 group 27s wired in parallel)? Any suggestion for a good product which won't break the bank?

thanks

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Whatever you get, and the two Mitiempo suggests are both good, make sure you get extra fuses. Try to limit the number and types of fuses you use aboard your boat to make inventory simpler.

·
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan
302 Posts
Consider the resetable circuit breakers, the series at Blue Seas have a 1/4 x 28 studs for mounting heavy cable. Having a breaker means never having to fumble around looking for another fuse.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I agree breakers are more convenient than fuses, but while a 30 amp breaker is pretty cost effective, the much larger rating for the house bank would be quite expensive in a breaker.
Brian

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Also, circuit breakers are more prone to failure, especially if they're located down by the batteries as they're supposed to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts