· Registered
1,033 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is where Google Glass can come into its own. Becoming a HUD display for all types of sports.

What they need to sell the concept is to show it on a racing yacht where the helmsman has full charting, wind instruments and overlayed position of the next mark/waypoint etc. maybe even a feed from a bow or masthead camera.

Thats what I want! Like a fighter jet pilots helmet I want the total control right in my face. It doesnt matter if it still needs a wire or two for power.

[snip]
It's my guess that the Navy and commercial interests will get the hud helmet first. I can see both Con & Flight Deck Officer wearing them on the bridge of an aircraft carrier. Probably good for Cargomaster on a freighter, too. How long to trickle down to the private sector I don't know, but I'll bet some talented hardware & software hackers could work wonders with a set of VR goggles. If they haven't already. :cool:

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark,

It's already here... Well it's already in pre-sales. AFTERGUARD | Heads Up Display for Sailing
Thanks for the heads-up, Greg.

I think I read in Scientific American some years ago that what is available in the marketplace is 5 years behind what the guys in the labs are working on. We are +becoming+ Borg. :)

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

---Locutus of Borg

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like it! But it doesnt appear to have charts, radar etc overlay
Maybe they're taking a page from Bill Gates' playbook, and those will be available for a nominal fee when you upgrade to the Mk-II or 'Pro' version.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh goody goody goody. Another bit of tech designed to take one's attention away from the real world and immerse us deeper in the virtual one. I can imagine some cretin running down a channel at 20 knots with his attention split between his heads up display, a couple of other gadgets that aren't interfaced into it yet, and a tiny bit of attention on the real world. I'm going to feel so much safer out there on the water, yes I am. Thanks, Google.
He's already out there, and doesn't need GGlass to make him a distracted menace.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.