SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the idea awhile ago that I needed to learn to sail. After doing much research aka stalking forums I bought several books on trailer sailors, ASA recommend books. Little more research I was dragging my lady to different boat yards around the Midwest till we found a neglected Precision 23 that fit my budget. Lot more work than I planned and we were off on our first sail. Great experience. After the most windless summer in iowa that I can remember we are off to the Grenadines for BOSS learn and cruise ASA 101 103 104. I've read good and bad about experiences of this outfit and will leave my own opinions and experiences when we return.

·
19,485 Posts
Enjoy.. the Grenadines are a terrific cruising ground. The Tobago Cays and Bequia were probably our favourites.

No problem with lack of wind there either! Watch for big swells in the Bequia channel if the wind is up!

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
... we are off to the Grenadines for BOSS learn and cruise ASA 101 103 104. I've read good and bad about experiences of this outfit and will leave my own opinions and experiences when we return.
Post some videos on YouTube and photos on a public photo sharing site or IT DID NOT HAPPEN.:D

Last thing this forum needs is another disguised commercial by another sock puppet of a commercial establishment too cheap to buy an advertisement...:)

·
Barquito
3,757 Posts
I got back from a charter in SVG, and found I was much more confident sailing my Catalina 22. The thing just seemed like a toy compared to the 43' catamaran we were on.

BTW, where did you sail in Western IA?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been experimenting with my precision 23 on a little lake by Corning. Next summer I'll take her over to Red Rock or Rathbun. As close as we get to big water. Been referred to as many things over the years, but never a sock puppet, LoL I fully appreciate the cynicism though. I'll see what all I can get to load for pics when we get going.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
Great, since you are not a sock puppet and you seem to be promoting this course of action in a round-about fashion, you would not mind telling us the cost of your trip?

What are you paying for the three ASA courses? $5K, $6K, $7K?
What does it cost to fly to, and stay in, the Caribbean to take these courses, from Idaho? $2K? $3K?

And since your total outlay would probably be north of $10K, which could buy a decent boat and an enjoyable experience learning to sail in a normal location, if you are really interested in learning how to sail, why don't you just read a book or two instead and buy a better boat?

If I lived in Idaho or Montana, or one of these other difficult-to-sail-in states, and I really loved sailing, I would move to a state where I could sail regularly, instead of paying outrageous sums to overcome a self-imposed obstacle. Seems pretty basic to me.

Don't tell me you can't move, it makes no sense, unless you are some cubicle dweller. You have $10K to throw around for a week's vacation, but you can't even choose where you get to live.

And if you really couldn't move, why wouldn't you just take up a different pasttime: hiking, camping, rock climbing, sports car racing, martial arts, etc. There are lots of fun things to do that don't involve sailing, particularly for someone who hasn't even sailed enough to even understand the disadvantages, shortcomings or unpleasantries of sailing.

These threads always seem extremely contrived and there is never any tangible proof that the poster exists or the trip is taken. Instead, they inevitably become a commercial for an ostensibly irrational course of action.

What we now need is some other brain surgeon to chime in about how he or she did the same thing, and it was absolutely the best experience of his or her life, without parallell!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where to start

Ok 1 week class $1500, airfare bout half that, I haven't moved out of iowa yet, for family reasons. I've bought, and read a # of books. I've been racing and rebuilding Chevelles for the last 20 years I've raced Quads and dirt bikes. I've toured the rockies from 2 wheels also. I work as a maintenance mechanic in a food processing plant, so if I'm spending 10k+ on a vacation it better invole some quality blow and whores. Instead if buying a "better boat" I'm happy with my little trailer sailor for now since being in middle of no where iowa having ability to roll down the highway is a must for me. I also like long walks off a short pier, rum with limeade and being a sexy beast

·
bell ringer
5,571 Posts
These threads always seem extremely contrived and there is never any tangible proof that the poster exists or the trip is taken. Instead, they inevitably become a commercial for an ostensibly irrational course of action.

What we now need is some other brain surgeon to chime in about how he or she did the same thing, and it was absolutely the best experience of his or her life, without parallell!!!
you run out of coffee this morning?

·
Advanced beginner
642 Posts
Go ahead and enjoy your trip! I actually enjoy sailing courses - James may consider them a substitute for sailing your own boat but in my experience sailing courses and sailing are compliments. The more confident I get, the more sailing I do. The more I learn, the more I want to get on my own boat and practice what I learn.

Courses aren't cheap, but hey, none of us got into sailing to save money. Doesn't mean they aren't sometimes very useful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts