SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am an unexpected new owner of a free Galilee 15, in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. How interesting to come across this 16 year old discussion thread on this boat!

The boat was neglected on a mooring, which is broke free from - the bottom was badly fouled, the boat was on the rocks for a time, the rudder was snapped off and missing (but the rudder post and tiller were still present), and the trailer had two flat tires.

So far I am about $100 into the cleanup . . . and surprisingly it is looking good! I fixed the trailer, hauled the boat, pressure washed the bottom (which was remarkably sound) - removing a serious head of hair, and put on three coats of antifouling. I am still lacking a rudder, but am going to weld a quick blade on to the extant shaft to test the boat out for the rest of the season (but this will not be tilt-able - I will put have to put the shaft in when the boat is n the water and remove before hauling). So - does anyone know if the original rudder assembly is available for purchase anywhere? I would think not, but worth asking . . .

Also - what else particular to these boats should I look for as I clean the boat up?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Jeff - a search for images of the rudder is in fact was led me to the thread. I do still have the rudderhead, and did think about fitting something like the original circular plates, but was dissuaded in favour of a quicker solution, to test out the rest of the boat. Hmm . . . could be a shortsighted effort on my part. One other issue is that I am cautious as well about the condition of the rudderpost, which was damaged in the grounding. I gave it a bit of a straighten with a little heat and some elbow grease, but replacing that tube would be a much better idea if I went to the effort of making a new rudder assembly. At that point I choose to simply pick the low hanging fruit . . .

The breeze out here in Boothbay is simply stellar today, and I am feeling the need to get out on the water quickly! Summer is fleeting here . . . but I do also think my stitched-up rudder might not prove up to the job . . .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.