SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently managed to break off the cheek plates off the rudder post of my Galilee 15 and lose the rudder - and all steering. Anyone know of a reasonable replacement rudder or have one lying around from a junked Galilee 15? I figure if I can get new cheek plates made and welded on - but then I need a rudder blade. Any other suggestions for the repair would be helpful. Thanks!

Chris P
I recently picked up a Galilee 15 and it works pretty well. But I am trying to replace the lines that go into the rudder under the "cheekplate"? and then goes up the rudder post. I don't understand how the lines attach to the rudder under the cheek plate as the lines are mashed under that plate when bolted down. Seems like there ought to be space for the lines to move. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I realize this is an old posting but wondering if you had found a good source for parts, etc. I just purchased a 15 in excellent shape but not sure what the future holds. Also, not sure where to attach a topping lift on the mast as this boat does not have one installed. Any help would be appreciated. (also not sure how to post for all to see)
Thanks,
John
John or anyone. I just picked up a 15. I'm looking for info and wonder if someone could call me? Not clear on how the self bailing plug works and lines in the rudder. Tim 859 468 7300 any help appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Dan
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my self bailing consists of an opening through the hull and a plug that screws into the top. Would you have anymore info or a picture. I guess the cam was removed???
Also, we replaced the lines in the rudder anticipating the lines to do exactly what you described. The lines come up the tube to the top of the tiller but they do not move the rudder up or down. We were unclear how the lines could move as the plates on the rudder press in on the rudder permitting no movement. Sorry for the extended message but I can't find explanation anywhere on these questions. If you would call 859 468 7300 that would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great info! The self bailer is really just a plug. My thought on self bailing was something that lets water out of the cockpit while blocking water from coming in...go figure. I've ordered the right plug..
Your rudder appears upside down compared to ours (check the notch). You have a screw eye of sorts on the top of the rudder with a line to hoist it up, we do not. We have two holes inside the rudder under the plates. The manual says put knots on the lines in those holes. So it's no wonder the lines and rudder don't move. Not sure how to correct this or if our rudder is upside-down. Check attached pix.. Line Font Parallel Elbow Engineering
Skin Hand Finger Gesture Nail
Helmet Wood Gas Personal protective equipment Grass

What's your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great stuff...too funny. Not sure yours is upside-down. I do like the bracket for uphaul..ours just doesn't pull up easily at all. Is there a difference on orientation?
Love your ballast comment!
Can't thank you enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like so… View attachment 139967
[/QU
Wow! Well very interesting. Looks like you have holes on the top of the rudder that allows the lines to go down to the larger holes where you make knots. We will double check but we don't have those lead holes. In fact the old line went from large hole across to the other. We've connected an knotted lines going into those holes separately but the lines are fouled when we tighten the disc's down. That's why we're so frustrated...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, that's a quandary.. perhaps the holes were plugged up? You definitely can't have the rope wrapped around the rudder. That will seize it up for sure.
Sure don't know...but thanks for your time and help! Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts