SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Things like this are truly personal...

Myself, I don't like the top-load counter fridges/freezers because they take away counter space...duh..which can be used for scattered/unorganized space.
Ideally, on a mono hull, I'd like to have pull out fridge/freezer that's under dedicated disorganized space above.

Although I can make pizza that would kill you and me, I really have no real need for an oven. I think ovens are more of a chick thing.

Fridge thing....
The portable fridge/freezers out now are pretty darn efficient.
People are spending a lot of money building in-counter, permanent installs to be efficient.

Maximizing use of space is key and takes some talent.
I won't do it, but think it would be nice to have portables stored under counter to be pulled out and pushed back in as needed.
Portables can be replaced easily when/if needed...thinking longterm...just allot the space.

On another thread somebody had talked about the potential pain and questions of using a 1/4 berth for storage.
We have many new relatively inexpensive 'containerizing' 'efficient packing' plans and systems readily available. That market really bloomed in the past few years...meeting the need....some good stuff.

Again, it's personal.
And if you go too far with it - trying to perfect - you'll cut down on your chill time...

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Small counter top space is naturally cluttered, for me - a magnet for junk.
Kinda like my work desk...:)

Enlarge counter space and take away from lounging space....win/lose...

I will experiment with racks, net hammocks, etc.
I'll use the oven for some type of storage.
The top load counter fridge is there, so it will stay there, dedicated.
The portable freezer unit..prob 60ish qt will need to be fitted...somewhere.

I'll be working on some way to comfortably sleep in the cockpit.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Huh.

For what it's worth, I just returned from an offshore passage where the oven was used often by the male skipper. For cooking, not storage.
The capt may have felt it was safe because a woman was onboard to supervise in case there were problems.
Still, it's not recommended.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
There's good news and bad news about a top loading refrigerator/freezer. The good news is they tend to me more efficient than front loaders because you don't completely dump all the cold air when the door is opened.......:
The portables are all top-load - it's just a matter of finding/creating space for them.
Square corners are sometimes hard to fit into curved spaces....efficiently.
The architects do well creating workable space, but it's never one size fits all.
I have the in-counter top-load fridge and want to add a portable freezer, so I'll either find unused or under utilized space, or repurpose some space.
When it's meant for the galley, ease of access is key....on a galley mission, don't slow me down.

Limited baking can also be done in a grill.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Casual memory says that portable coolers--even the great ones--and reefer drawers still all have maybe half the insulation of a really *good* built-in top loader. Or can anyone find a spec from Engel or someone that contradicts that?.....
Good point.
What I've looked at is amp draw for both built ins and portables to keep a certain temp level, regardless of the thickness of insulation.
I've not yet found solid info that the built ins are surpassing the latest portables, but that's something to check...and to post about, please.
I've read reports from others who have the Adler Barbour Cold Machines saying the amp draw they experience is X, and that is greater than being reported on the new portables.
I have not gotten reports from new keel cooling systems.

Properly built built-ins, in my mind, should perform better than light weight and small footprint portables. I think a lot, if not most, of the current built ins are add-on fixes for something that people wanted to see improved.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
You have killer counter space.
First thought is is to get rid of the cushion on starboard berth, strap down a portable at the front and use the rear of that berth for 'whatever' storage...and try that temporarily.
Heck, 2 portables would fit there.

Maybe take it in steps, use it for a while and learn what is comfortable.

Get small, light stuff racked/bungeed, etc up high. You def have space to work with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts