SailNet Community banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
i use the quarter berth alot on both sides the icebox is starboard as is the galley i can have 1/2 of the countertop still useable and the lid of the icebox will be flush as well i have about 24" of depth under the counter to put it in but want to get 4" of insulation to get better R factor with out going to the aerogel panels
the refridgeration would be a holdover plate running off the engine directly so no power involved just need to runn the engine twice a day for 15 mins each which is normal for setting and picking up anchor
I guess I don't quite follow how your boat is set up (the drawing on Saildata is fuzzy). Do you have any pics? I enjoy redesign projects in boats. I'm a design builder (housing). Small space design - like boats - is the most interesting.

We all sail differently. For me, I often sail on and off anchor and like to be able to stay for a few days. We have plentiful ice available in my cruising grounds and we're coastal sailors that are gone short term.

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I guess I don't quite follow how your boat is set up (the drawing on Saildata is fuzzy). Do you have any pics? I enjoy redesign projects in boats. I'm a design builder (housing). Small space design - like boats - is the most interesting.

We all sail differently. For me, I often sail on and off anchor and like to be able to stay for a few days. We have plentiful ice available in my cruising grounds and we're coastal sailors that are gone short term.

I am not attached to having a refrigerator but wanted the holdover plate for when ice is in short supply
my cruising area is the salish sea (PNW) so summer is not hot

·
19,485 Posts
Where is your fridge now? With that linear galley (not at all like the drawings on sailboatdata - but then some of these hulls were sold as kits) an engle in a drawer between sink and galley stove should work a treat.

Alternatively maybe raise the stbd quarter a few inches and maybe a decent icebox/fridge could be fitted under the forward section.

Reactions: TomMaine

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
You have killer counter space.
First thought is is to get rid of the cushion on starboard berth, strap down a portable at the front and use the rear of that berth for 'whatever' storage...and try that temporarily.
Heck, 2 portables would fit there.

Maybe take it in steps, use it for a while and learn what is comfortable.

Get small, light stuff racked/bungeed, etc up high. You def have space to work with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
One other thought, yours is a dinette layout, nearly identical to what I have on my Vanguard. If you moved the sink aft just forward of the oven and put a built in place reefer where the sink used to be, you'd have a pretty sweet layout. I like mine a lot. Its great at anchor and not bad at sea. You keep the starboard quarterberth and the sink is closer to the oven which generates the dirty dishes. I think your stove oven is alcohol based-over the long term you'd probably be glad you switched to propane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Jim,
I realize this is a post about interior layouts but I noticed you discussed your Pearson Vanguard. I also own a Vanguard (1965) dinette model which I recently bought in Harpswell, Me. I sail her out of South Portland. If there was any way we could just chat about the boats that would be great. In particular I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount a reefing system on the original wooden boom. She's all set up with slab reefing on the main but the hardware was never installed on the spars. Thanks for your time - Ben Welch

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,129 Posts
On the subject of galley upgrades...

1. Has anyone used an integral corian sink... obviously would have to be a bar sink size... or similar and fit the available location???

2. Has anyone added a thin corian top over an existing counter where the sink is located and installed new or reinstalled old sink and new fittings? In my case this would be a slightly raised section at the far corner of the sink counter. Replacing the whole top is not an option or sensible. I don't find the small step an issue.

3. Has anyone used a pre cut and drilled heavy gauge piece of stainless steel to lay over a portion of the counter?

One of the huge problems I have is working on the faucets access to which is a very narrow space and virtually impossible to right the fitting nut or the plumbing connections. Some faucets come with long copper tube tailed which are below the typical sink and can be accessed for tightening... but the faucet itself is PITA.

There is not much standing water on the counter... so water tight is not much of an issue... but mechanically secure is.

If I replace with something over top... with a small step... everything can mounted and then the entire "assembly" screwed up from below...

Comments and suggestions invited.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts