SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to buying a sailboat that I want to keep on its trailer with its mast rigged, so I would need a marina that has trailer spaces and also has a ramp (this boat doesn't have a lifting eye and I don't want to be messing with slings). Is there any such place on Galveston Bay or Clear Lake? How about on other bays within a couple hours drive?

Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The big problem we have in this area is water depth at the launch area. If you've got a shoal draft trailer sailor or a centerboard type boat you'll probably be ok. With a regular draft model you might have problems. At my sailing club we've got 8'+ at the docks but only 6' on a good day at the launch. A boat with more than 3' draft has a really hard time getting off the trailer.

With that said there's a couple in the Kemah / Clear Lake area. There's a trailer sailor marina next to the sailor resale shop on the south side of Clear Lake and a sailing club on the north east side of the lake. Port Arthur / Orange don't have a single site that I know of. My club in Lake Charles does depending on keel depth but its about 2 hours from kemah. I don't know the area southwest of Kemah.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Marina del Sol on Clear Lake uses a fork lift for launching boats, and though most storage is covered, there is some outside area. (If you're in that area, a look see would explain the set up far better than words). There might be something on the Seabrook side of the lake, but I haven't been to any of them. You might try some of the marinas around the north end of the Bay also. I know some have ramps, but I don't know about storage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts