SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the measurement between bolts, center-to-center, on the Garhauer series 30 double deck organizer? Any experience with these newer ones with ball bearings? I have 20-year-old bushing types, thinking of replacing.

Thanks.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Call Garhauer and ask them. :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes you will have to call them. I have the Garhauer catalogue but it does not give this dimension. I bought the 40 series for a 30 footer and it was over kill, the 30 series would have been fine.

Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just checked mine

2.5" center to center. Nicely finished, and work well. Do not under any circumstances remove the center bolts until you are ready to install, the bracket will spring apart slightly and all the balls will fall out. Don't ask me how I know. Tim

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for the heads up, Timo42. Sounds like something I would have done.

With a 2.5" measurement, the 30 must have 2 inch sheaves, but some places show 2 5/8" for both the 30 and 40 series. Garhauer shows 2 inch sheaves. Guess I will have to call. I was hoping to get something to fit my current organizer holes, which are 3 inches on center.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I called Garhauer, and it will take the 40 series organizers to go with my 3" on center holes.

A question remains: is the reduction in friction noticeable going from a non-ball bearing to ball bearing deck organizer?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yes, going to a ball-bearing sheave organizer will reduce friction.

However, it does depend on what you're using the sheaves for.... If the deck organizers are being used for heavily loaded, primarily static lines, like halyards, you might be better off with sleeve bearing sheaves instead. Ball bearings are better used in dynamic situations, since the ball bearings can distort if left loaded for long periods of time.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, halyards currently go thru the organizers. The jib halyard is very static--roller furling. The main gets exercised every day--is that too infrequent? I've thought of adding a cleat to the mast for the jib halyard and not bothering to bring it back to the cockpit, since we never mess with it.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
You might want to check with Garhauer, but I believe their line organizers may use both sleeve and ball bearings. Bringing the jib halyard back to the cockpit is probably not necessary, since you're using a roller furling unit. If you sail in heavier winds, having it lead aft might be nice, since there may be times when you want to tension it a bit more to help the sail keep better shape. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts