SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant "Garmin BlueChart" for iPhone/iPad

Just got my new iPhone 6 64GB to replace 4 yo iPhone 4. Can I say hee haw!!! Yes, finally 4G LTE and able to share hot spot, still enjoying the grandfather unlimited data plan.

On my way to set up all my Apps, I realized that Garmin does not give new update for free or at a discounted price. It looks like that they upgrade their chart annually. I purchased their chart in 2013, but the new 2014 is another $45. Although it is still inexpensive, I am not clear what was updated in 2014, and unwilling to pay each year.

Garmin Blue Chart is very decent, I use it extensively to supplement the chart plotter on the boat. I often find Garmin chart is more accurate. Together with Active Captain, it is unbeatable. All the local knowledge in you own hand, looking for Plan B and C are much easier while on route. It has served me well on delivery.

There are a few things I don't like about Bluechart App, so i am still search for other alternative. Please give me a heads up if you find something worthwhile.

:)

·
Administrator
7,614 Posts
As long as ypu dont update you get to keep the charts.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In short answer YES. You can keep your old version.

Garmin site remembers you account and what you have purchased. So the old charts are still available for you to download to any your your new device (unlimited # of devices). But the newer version need to purchase it again. Unlike Navionics, you will never charge a full price again.

It is still a good deal. The hard part is: What are the changes in the newer version. They don't give you the details.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts