SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for feedback from folks who have Garmin 4200 series chartplotters and 4k radar.

I'm thinking of adding the 4208 to my boat this winter. Based on conversations with the Garmin and Raymarine folks at Annapolis this year it seems like you're getting more bang for you buck with the Garmin.

I know there were some weather seal issues with older Garmins, but they claim those problems were fixed with the new units. So how about it? Do you guys like your Garmins? Would you recommend them? Any quirks on installation?

Thanks in advance,
Jim McGee
94 C22 Island Time
95 C30 Goin' Coastal
Maple Shade, NJ

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Garmin 3205

Jim,

I have a Garmin 3205 GPS Chartplotter mounted on a pedestal at the wheel of my boat (in the hot sun and cold rain). It is interfaced with Raymarine transducers via NMEA 0183 protocol.

It is not the 4200 of interest to you, but may be of consequence that it has been, "rock solid" in performance and dependability for 2-seasons and counting. It replaced a first generation GPS WAAS Raymarine chartplotter that died due to coax failure.

Best Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
179 Posts
Inherited 4212 with my new-to-me boat in the fall and use it with radar - like it quite a bit. very intuitive to use. with the large screen it draws more current than i would like. i think i would rather the 4208.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
If you're ever going to go to the Bahamas do not get a Raymarine. Their electronic charts of the Bahamas (Navionics) are the worst I've ever seen. Lots of geo-referencing errors. Anchor on the leeward side of the Exumas and it shows you out in Exuma Sound. Garmin now has Explorer Charts which are excellent. Navionics newest chip is worse than the older ones because they were required to remove some proprietary data they had "borrowed". If you're only sailing in the US Raymarine is ok as they all use the free NOAA chart data. Navionics is not responsive to customers sending info re errors. They will not tell you if the errors have been corrected in the latest release. Just buy it and find out!! Money down the drain.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Garmin 4212

I have a Garmin 4212 (12" Non-Touchscreen). It is one of the best I have used, and a major improvement over the 3200 series (which I had before).

I added the Garmin Vision card for Chesapeake Bay, but my opinion is that price is too high for the features I use.

The chartplotter is interfaced via NMEA 0183 to my Raymarine pilot and I am satisfied with the performance.

One area where I think the Garmin falls short is in the overall graphic processing. While the charts are clear and intuitive, zoom and panning redraw performance could be better.

I do not have radar.

Jason

·
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

Jason, I looked at the "Vision" upgrade and didn't think I'd use the features either.

Cruising World did a chartplotter roundup a few months back and they noted that the Garmin plotters draw more juice than the Raymarine plotters. For now I don't expect that to be an issue as I'm cruising the Jersey Shore and Chesapeake Bay so I won't be too many days out without plugging in the shore power cord.

As for the Bahamas. Well that's a dream cruise that is at least a couple of years off. The previous owner cruised this boat there and I'd love to take her back.

Jim
94 C22 Island Time
95 C30 Goin' Coastal

·
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Camaraderie, I just read through the thread you linked to. Good discussion, MaineSail's experience confirmed what I'd read elsewhere. thanks.

Jim
94 C22 Island Time
95 C30 Goin' Coastal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts