SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Not sure when it went out of production, but Amazon started carrying it in 2001. So that's pretty old in GPS-land. Garmin doesn't support it anymore, even for paid repairs, though I think you might be able to get charts for it.

Not sure if anyone can fix those things since Garmin won't do it, but that at least should give you some idea of age. Good luck...
-J

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Given the price drops in GPS units, I'd say get a new one. Fixing that one is probably going to cost a significant fraction of a new one, and the color screens are far easier for an old guy like you to read. :) :D

As for a recommendation, the 76GPSMap Cx is about $200 street retail, waterproof, has memory cards and can accept Garmin Bluechart nautical charts.

{dawg is now running and hiding from denby}
<dawg is="" now="" running="" and="" hiding="" from="" denby=""></dawg>

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,122 Posts
You might try loading a more current version of the Garmin OS, if you speak with garmin they will ship it to you on a micros SD card for a $50 refundable deposit. You should search for a tread about updating the 162.

You can get the right Blue charts from Garmin, Garmin: Cartography - BlueChart just be sure that the chip will work with a new unit, you'll need it anyway.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I don't think the 162 has a memory card slot, much less a MicroSD slot.
You might try loading a more current version of the Garmin OS, if you speak with garmin they will ship it to you on a micros SD card for a $50 refundable deposit. You should search for a tread about updating the 162.

You can get the right Blue charts from Garmin, Garmin: Cartography - BlueChart just be sure that the chip will work with a new unit, you'll need it anyway.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It was my evil twin that did it... really.... :)
The 162 has no slot of any kind. And Dawg, do you know how easy it is to find out where you live? :mad: And you are only about two hours from me.:D

and the color screens are far easier for an old guy like you to read.
{dawg is now running and hiding from denby}

:laugher :laugher :laugher

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
There's a good thread on them over at SBO. Look HERE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
garmin make you pay for maps they get free from NOAA.
you better off with a navigation software on laptop or a cellphone.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
BS.... First of all, Garmin has their own GIS department, and a rather large one at that. Second, laptops and cellphones are not substitutes for a good marine GPS. Given the hostile marine environment and how it generally treats electronics.... a marine GPS is far more durable and reliable than either a laptop or a cellphone, unless you've shelled out the money for a MILSPEC ruggedized one... and then the GPS is far less expensive.
garmin make you pay for maps they get free from NOAA.
you better off with a navigation software on laptop or a cellphone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GPS map 162 and old Antenna GA 29?

Hi, my GPS map 162 doesn't seem to find a signal. How do I test the antenna? I think this is really old, but want to keep it as a backup.

The antenna is mounted out on the stern rail in clear sight of the sky. But when I power up all I get is "Acquiring Signal".

==
Problem solved. They had cut the antenna cable to run it up through the deck (rather than drill a BNC sized hole) and the connection they had soldered wasn't any good. I restripped it, crimped on a coax coupler, taped that up against the weather and all systems go!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts