SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a Garmin GPSMAP 742 xs and plan to link it to a Raymarine EV-100 wheel pilot. I have heard that some of the functions on the Garmin will not be sent to the EV-100. Anyone using Garmin plotter with Raymarine auto pilots that can shed light on successes and failures?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Hello,

When I first installed my Ev 100 wheel pilot in 2014 I had a Garmin plotter. It was very easy to get the two devices (and ST60 instruments) communicating.

The Ray AP could steer to a compass heading (no need to external devices for that), a wind angle (provided by the ST60 wind instrument) or waypoint (data provided by the Garmin).

You will not be able to CONTROL the Ray AP from the Garmin plotter. You must use the AP control head to enable / disable the pilot. The AP control head can display any information the plotter has - you can display SOG, DTW, TTW, etc.

What other functions would you like the garmin to send?

In 2015 (I think) I removed the Garmin plotter and installed a B&G Vulcan. The communication between the plotter and autopilot was the same, with the same features available.

Barry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

… What other functions would you like the garmin to send?

Barry
The GPSMAP 42 has advanced sailing features and interfaces with the Garmin G-wind instrument. I would like to be able to sail to a wind angle from the plotter.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Hello,

You don't need the garmin plotter for this. You need to make sure that the wind data provided by the G Wind is on the network. The Evo 100 has the ability to steer to a wind angle.

Barry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

You don't need the garmin plotter for this. You need to make sure that the wind data provided by the G Wind is on the network. The Evo 100 has the ability to steer to a wind angle.

Barry
I will be getting the Gwind wireless which can be read by the GPSMAP. I assume that this info is then shared on the NEMA 2000 network so that other displays can viewed on other displays and I assume that this would work as expected on an all Garmin system. My concern is that the Raymarine might not read it given that they use a 5-wire cable instead of the standard 4-wire cable for NEMA-2000.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My concern is that the Raymarine might not read it given that they use a 5-wire cable instead of the standard 4-wire cable for NEMA-2000.
Raymarine runs both NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 (aka SeaTalk 1) in their SeaTalkNG bus cables, which is why they have the extra wire in there.

The EVO-100 will pick off any wind angle measurements transmitted on the NMEA2000 bus. You should be good.

What type of bus do you have on your boat? NMEA2000 or SeaTalkNG? If NMEA 2000, then you will need two Raymarine "devicenet" cables to connect the EV-100 and the AP head to the NMEA2000 network. The ACU-100 will just require you to lop a connector off a NMEA2000 cable (the wires get inserted into a terminal block).

If you don't have a NMEA2000 or SeaTalkNG bus, then you will need to create one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Raymarine runs both NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 (aka SeaTalk 1) in their SeaTalkNG bus cables, which is why they have the extra wire in there.

The EVO-100 will pick off any wind angle measurements transmitted on the NMEA2000 bus. You should be good.

What type of bus do you have on your boat? NMEA2000 or SeaTalkNG? If NMEA 2000, then you will need two Raymarine "devicenet" cables to connect the EV-100 and the AP head to the NMEA2000 network. The ACU-100 will just require you to lop a connector off a NMEA2000 cable (the wires get inserted into a terminal block).

If you don't have a NMEA2000 or SeaTalkNG bus, then you will need to create one.
Thanks for the info. I have no bus or Talk. My current instruments and AP are the original 1988 Signet and AH 4000. That is not a misprint, I am still using a genuine AutoHelm AH 4000 before Raymarine took it over. It is still working as it should but I know that its days are numbered, given that it is 32 years old. (knock wood). I have looked at the Raymarine chartplotters but have not been impressed with the features and have heard many bad reports on weather-tightness and customer support. The Garmin users seem to be happier.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have no bus or Talk....I have looked at the Raymarine chartplotters but have not been impressed with the features and have heard many bad reports on weather-tightness and customer support. The Garmin users seem to be happier.
In that case, you will have to set up a SeaTalkNG bus. You will need one hub, terminators, and a power cable, which is all sold as a complete starter kit. The EV-100 components do not connect to each other; they all are designed to connect to a SeaTalkNG bus.

https://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-RAY-T70134-SeaTalk-ng-Starter-Kit/dp/B0041TB3IE/

I a have a Raymarine Axiom Pro, and have been very pleased with it. The touchscreen is operable in the rain, and has (finally) great sailing features such as lay lines.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your going to have to connect your Garmin NMEA 0183 to the Ratheon NMEA 0183. Basic NMEA 0183 should give WPT, COG and Bearing. Follow the Garmin instruction and Raytheon\Raymarine info is online.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your going to have to connect your Garmin NMEA 0183 to the Ratheon NMEA 0183
GPSMAP 742xs has NMEA 2000. EV-100 is primarily SeaTalkNG, which is the same thing as NMEA2000, just with proprietary connectors. So no need to run NMEA0183... it would just be providing the same information at a slower speed.

He will need a devicenet cable (NMEA2000-SeaTalkNG) to connect the Garmin to a SeaTalkNG bus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My understanding is that the Garmin GPSMAP 742 xs will receive the Gwind wireless signal and put that info on the NEMA 2000 network. The EV-100 can then pick that info up from the Devicenet cable (NEMA200-SeaTalkNG) and steer to wind angle. The 742 has an autopilot interface that allows it to drive a Garmin AP but it seems that it will not be able to drive the EV-100. Is all of this correct?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting. I don't know if this FAQ has been superseded by software updates, but three years ago, Raymarine was actually recommended NMEA0183 connection between Garmin MFD and the EV-100.

I had forgot this, but the EV-100 kit comes with the "SeaTalkNG starter kit", so you don't actually have to buy it separately.

You could try your chartplotter hooked up with NMEA 2000, and if that doesn't work, cable it up with NMEA0183.

"No Navigation Data" reported when engaging Track mode - Garmin chartplotter

EDIT: Whoops, forgetting my personal history here.

Before I got my Raymarine Axiom Pro, I had a 2007 Garmin gpsmap 441, hooked up via NMEA2000 to the EV-100, and I was able to navigate to TRACK produced by the Garmin on the AP head. This was less than a year ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts