SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a Garmin GMR18 radar to a previously functioning Garmin network. The radar was added to a network already containing 2 Garmin 3010C chartplotters using a GMS 10 Network Port Expander.

The installation went well until the time came to power it up nothing happened.
The radar is not recognized by the chartplotter.
I have set the chartplotter up to autodetect services and the radar is ticked on in the menu as well.

I did notice that the network activity lights for the radar connection port do not show up on the GMS 10 network hub as they do for the ports connecting the chartplotters. Should these lights be on if a peripheral is active (the radar in this case).

Is it possible that the Chartplotter software is not compatible with the radar? The radar is a new HD unit, the chartplotter is 2 years old.
How do you upgrade the software in a Garmin chartplotter. I have read what I can on-line but there is not very good information.
Is there a good on-line source for Garmin networking information?

Thanks

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
What firmware versions do you have in the chartplotters. You can upgrade the chartplotters by downloading the firmware from this page.

You'll probably need to download the firmware to a memory card and then use the menu option in the chartplotter to update the firmware in it. :)

Any questions, PM me or respond here. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sailingdog,
I have f/w version 4.6 in my unit. It looks like they are up to 5.5 now.
The only reference in see in the notes is for support for GMR 24 and 40 in release 3.0. I have no idea when support was added for GMR 18.
I see a serial download and a USB card programmer download on the website.
How do I download the file to my unit?
I did not get a serial cable for my unit from the P/O and I don't see reference to one in the manual.
If I get a memory card, how do I go about programming it?
Your help on this is much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts