SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am fitting out my aluminium sailboat. The water tanks are built into the hull. I have tank tops from 5mm aluminium. M8 aluminium or 316l bolts to secure the top down.

What I need help with is wether to use a gasket tape of some type or just silicon the tops and bolt them down.

There are 4 tops. 2 separate sections. I have a 120mm vetus opening for each compartment and 3 x 38mm holes for in, out and vent.

Any suggestions?

Dennis

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
I’d use a gasket, if I could. If not available, or I couldn’t make one, or it just didn’t seal well enough, then I’d use a food safe sealant. The sealant would be effective, but make it much messier next time you wanted to clean your tank.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Try the McMaster Carr website for gaskets. You can search the site for materials that are NSF 61 or ANSI certified for potable water use, I believe.

Here’s a link to a list of sealants that have the NSF 61 certification: Listing Category Search Page | NSF International

·
Registered
991 Posts
Also found the list of NSF 61 certified gaskets.....Listing Category Search Page | NSF International

A google search for NSF 61 certified gasket material brings up several companies that sell what they say are compliant sheet materials, but I didn’t do any checking to see if any were actually on the NSF list.

·
11,850 Posts
Hello
I am fitting out my aluminium sailboat. The water tanks are built into the hull. I have tank tops from 5mm aluminium. M8 aluminium or 316l bolts to secure the top down.

What I need help with is wether to use a gasket tape of some type or just silicon the tops and bolt them down.

There are 4 tops. 2 separate sections. I have a 120mm vetus opening for each compartment and 3 x 38mm holes for in, out and vent.

Any suggestions?

Dennis
Gasket with spares. I would even see if you can find rubber/ neoprene o rings. It will help keep the pressure in the tank.

Those are the clean out tops I am assuming.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I imagine the Vetus openings are all he will ever need for cleaning. I'm thinking those tops won't come off for 20 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts