SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a headline this weekend about the Norwegian tanker pirate attack. I assumed that the pirates who were caught in the act would be hung up by the short hairs by now, but nooooo.....

There is currently no formal procedure for NATO personnel to follow once they have apprehended pirates, Davies noted. Their weapons are confiscated and they are then typically given provisions and released.
Since when do we apprehend pirates in the act of piracy, give them food and a pat on the bottom? No wonder they aren't worried about getting caught.

The whole article: New pirate attack thwarted in Gulf of Aden - CNN.com

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard from a non-reputable source that commercial ships are NOT ALLOWED to carry weapons.
Did you read the article? The attack was thwarted by a NATO (canadian) warship. Last I checked naval warships are allowed to carry weapons. I've heard that they even come equipped with a brig to incarcerate criminals. What a concept.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Pirates are unbalanced.

We should all assist in the process of re-balancing them.

I recommend 180 grains of lead in the left ear.

Something like this :p

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Ummm.. why are we letting them leave with their boat... Scuttling the boat should be a minimum... shooting them, if caught in an actual act of piracy, should also be a minimum. The pirates need to learn that piracy is NOT AN ACCEPTABLE WAY TO MAKE A LIVING.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Piracy is a criminal act, not a military one. Some folks get confused because it is usually opposed by the world's Navies, not by some sort of seagoing police force. As good as it might make one feel, simply shooting the pirates would be the equivalent of vigilantism.

The applicable laws are those of the country whose military ship was involved, so long as the conflict occurs in international waters. Each ship must follow it's country's law. We here in the US really have not dealt seriously and systematically with pirates for nearly 200 years - then during the two Barbary Wars. Thus our laws are a bit archaic but are sufficiently robust that they should prove useful in the current conflict. They are, however, OUR laws. Canadian law is different. I, for one, shall be interested to see what the Canadian PM does about them.

For the most part, modern piracy always occurs (or at least worsens) in the presence of power vacuums (i.e. ineffective government). Such is the case now around the horn of Africa, and such was the case almost 200 years ago along the Barbary coast of Africa as the Ottoman Empire declined.

This stuff interests me for obvious reasons. I mention the information below in the hope that it might interest folks here too. To sample a little flavor of the history of piracy as seen from the US perspective without spending a long time reading, I recommend reading the "Barbary Wars" entry in Wikipedia. While there, also look up the entry for Captain William Bainbridge, USN. He featured prominently in the Barbary Wars. His namesake, the USS Bainbridge, was the USN ship involved in the current scuffle.

Thomas P. Donnelly
CAPT, USNR (ret)

Ummm.. why are we letting them leave with their boat... Scuttling the boat should be a minimum... shooting them, if caught in an actual act of piracy, should also be a minimum. The pirates need to learn that piracy is NOT AN ACCEPTABLE WAY TO MAKE A LIVING.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The one thing that I just about NEVER ever see is "why are they doing what they are doing?". There is an article, some "pirates" boarded a ship and some country's navy went and beat them up. But never anything on why this "pirating" is going on. I challenge anybody here to do some good research into why this is going on and I bet you'll be surprised. I'm not encapsulating all of them, nor defending any actions, but I do believe in fair reporting and our north american media outlets suck at that..

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
They are pirates now, because their fisheries were fished out. I think up until now it has been a fun game for them, and the rewards are high. They are not liking the idea of someone fighting back........i2f

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one thing that I just about NEVER ever see is "why are they doing what they are doing?". There is an article, some "pirates" boarded a ship and some country's navy went and beat them up. But never anything on why this "pirating" is going on. I challenge anybody here to do some good research into why this is going on and I bet you'll be surprised. I'm not encapsulating all of them, nor defending any actions, but I do believe in fair reporting and our north american media outlets suck at that..
Ummmm... Let me guess. For the MONEY. Because you put "pirating" in quotes, I'm sure you have some other reason that would make it a perfectly legitimate business venture. Let's see what could it be? I know, it's the only way the warlords can get their hands on enough money fast enough to keep the legitimate government of Somalia suppressed. How'd I do?

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are pirates now, because their fisheries were fished out. I think up until now it has been a fun game for them, and the rewards are high. They are not liking the idea of someone fighting back........i2f
I agree that initially the "pirates" were not pirates at all, but were fishermen trying to protect their oceans from illegal fishing. Now it has turned into big business for warlords who recruit the same kids to do the pirating as they recruit for other misdeeds. It has nothing to do with fishing anymore.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As I said, I'm not saying it's legit. But it's the labeling that is put in place. If you want to label those that steal from others on the high seas... I can think of a few country's navies and fisheries that meet that requirement.

It's not just fishing, there is an immense amount of toxic garbage that is being dumped in their oceans due to the fact that now they have no coast guard (haven't for a while now). So how else do you get your message out when the "first world countries" won't let you?

Again, I just wish there was more fair reporting instead of name calling and demonization of those who may feel they have no other way to protest.

Definitely some warlords getting a bit richer out of the deal though.. there are always those that will look to profit from those that are suffering for a "noble cause".

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I said, I'm not saying it's legit. But it's the labeling that is put in place. If you want to label those that steal from others on the high seas... I can think of a few country's navies and fisheries that meet that requirement.
Labels are how we identify different things and activities. One guy might be labeled a "baseball player" while another might be a "football player". I'll bet that from those two labels, you'll be able to identify what activity those two guys might engage in. So let's label those who illegally fish "poachers" and we'll call those who steal ships at gunpoint and hold them for ransom "pirates".

·
Registered
245 Posts
oh.. I see. Kinda like "insurgents" and "terrorists".

It's all perceptive.

So what do we call those that defend the poachers and illegal dumpers and beat down defenders of their lands?

holy crap.. this is getting a bit off topic maybe..

We need a virtual pub to sit around in. That would be much more fun than typing.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
As has been said, piracy has been around for a LONG time and will remain around as long as there are those who go to sea to prey on others for profit. Most consider these pirates a brand of criminal. Nothing new here...

Regardless of motivation, piracy has always been considered a very serious crime, punishable in some pretty horrific ways...and while piracy continued regardless of that deterrent, at least when caught, they weren't given a nice parting gift and allowed to go on their merry way.

Sheesh...if it is a criminal matter, and not a military one, at least hold them until the nation of the ship under attack can take over.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.