SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
581 Posts
Hi all,
We hauled out a couple weeks ago, and I've been going over the boat with a fine tooth comb. I'm rebedding all the deck hardware, and have found some gel-coat cracking on the deck, and another below the waterline that I think may involve a little fiberglass work. I'm a complete newbie for the gel-coat/fiberglass repair so I'm starting to do some research. I just bought two books, one by Don Casey "Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair" and another by Roger Marshall "Fiberglass Boat Repair Illustrated".
I'll probably get my supplies from Jamestown, unless anyone has a better source? Is there anything I really need to be aware of that may not be covered in the books? Thanks in advance!
GH
================================
do not know if he has anything on gel coat,I really like his videos

·
Registered
581 Posts
is hard to tell from the pic, but I am sure you were able to tell by touch and sound have reach healthy fiberglass, after cleaning the suspected area.
That will be my only concern.
Love working with fiberglass and resins.
Thanks for the follow-up.

Mahalo plenty

·
Registered
581 Posts
that was my question too.
by the way, I would keep those pics and copies of these thread, in case when you sell your boat somebody may be afraid of what was done, I distrust areas of mismatched color or texture that speaks of unknown damage.
Even will more likely be covered by antifouling paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.