SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an old Hobie Cat as payment for a debt owed to me. The boat looks like it's in pretty remarkable condition with the exception of very dark discoloration below the waterline. I have a feeling this boat sat in the water for upwards of 10 years without cleaning.

I have attempted to use a diluted solution of bleach water but it only slightly takes it out.

Any suggestions? Short of repainting? I am looking for something simple I can apply to remove the stains and get this boat at least looking somewhat new.

Thanks everyone,
Justin
Lafayette, CO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I took the boat to a local guy who does gelcoat repairs to have him look at the hull. He said it is in pretty good condition but he'd charge me $250 to clean the discoloration

I tried a combination of a few cleaning agents but then looked at a toilet cleaner called "The Works" which has muriatic acid as well as some degergents. What the gelcoat guy said would take $250 and two full days of work took me 5 bottles of "The Works" at $1.00 each.

The stuff works great! There was a dark brown staining from algae, and what looked like about 1 mm of hard water stains, like calcium deposits on about 50% of the wet area. All I did was soak the affected areas in "The Works" and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then a high pressure hose and repeated the process. Then soap and water, rubbing compound, and a light coat of wax. Good as new!

$250? No way! $5.00 and an afternoon of drinking beers in the sun? Hell yes!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.