SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to do some minor gelcoat repair. Does anyone know the RAL number for Gelcoat on a late model Bavaria (Vision 46)??

Also, do you know a good source in the US for buying Gelcoat? I have found sources in Germany, but without the RAL number in the US, no luck.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
A direct contact with Bavaria or a Bavaria dealer should be your source of such information. An active dealer should also have info on which (local) Gel source 'already' has this information to be capable of supplying the matched color/hue.

Failing that, the 'best' way to color match gelcoat is to cut a 3/4" plug from hull, or other surface and send the sample out for computerized color analysis ... which will include an assay for any fading/oxidation or other color change due to sunlight exposure.

If your eyeballs are over ~50 years of age, forget doing an eyeball color match, as old eyes dont see nor comprehend 'red' very well.

I like and use Gel Coat Products, Inc., Seattle, Washington for good color matching and service. Gel-coat Products They have quite a large color-match data base of production boats on file. Their cost of color analyzing a 'plug' is approx. $100. As many of these gel suppliers do, they will offer 'paste' and 'ready to spray' forms of gelcoat. If you want perfection, Id suggest the final application to be a spray.

Do websearch for ""Gelcoat Repair Without a Mess" + "John Gabriel" for a simple yet comprehensive DVD/video.
For small repairs using spray technique: Preval Sprayer

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
You could try these guys Fibre Glast They have a color chart that you could rent or buy so you can match color

Could be a RAL 9016

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Contact Spectrum in FL... you send them a sample of YOUR gelcoat and they match it. It's what the pros use and recommend here in LIS.

All Categories

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I don't imagine that mfg have a RAL #... so it's better to match... especially with some UV fading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts