1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Gemini 105MC in Fiji in 2011,
After 6 weeks learning to sail it, I didnt have a clue at the time,
I upped the anchor and single handed it to Bundaberg Australia, For customs,
Then down the Tasman Sea to Broughton Island where I got chucked up on the beach in a very violent storm,
I was on the anchor at the time,
It went from dead calm, to on the beach and a foot of water inside my boat, In ten Minutes at 4-00 AM,
I had the boat salvaged, The insurance wrote it off as the repairers wanted a cheap boat and inflated the repair costs,
I bought it back off the insurers and trucked it 800 miles to Melbourne Australia, Where I live,
I had a shonky repairer that I ended up suing to get my boat back after he had it for 5 years and I could still stick my hands thru the holed hulls,
Its all documented legally, I can prove it all, FWIW,
I then got another good repairer to put two new beefed up hulls in my boat, 5mm to 13 mm, That took just over a year,
Then I had to replace all my wiring, Plumbing lines, Etc Etc, get the motor going again,
New solar panels, new dinghy, Etc Etc, The steering cables are Brand new, The Autopilot belt is brand new, It fell to bits on the way to Port Phillip bay, So I was hand steering the whole way,
I had my Genoa restiched, Its in very good condition as are my main and Jib, Considering their age, The Jib is Brand new and never been used, Its still in its bag,
I have a new 8 inch ONWA GPS as It was cheaper that new Garmin Maps which are non available any way,
Its exactly the same maps as my 5 inch Garmin which is outdated, and cant be updated,
Then truck it to the Marina on a truck from the hard stand 5 miles from the marina,
Its now back in the water and proven beyond doubt to its seaworthiness,

My crash course and shake down cruise was from Westernport Bay to Port Phillip Bay
I went out thru the RIP in Victoria on my way home, and then got a bad weather warning, This is in Bass Strait, Australia,
Winds in excess of 40 knots and huge seas expected, Im in it and nowhere to hide,
So as usual, I take it as it comes,

So it was Westernport Bay for shelter, The nearest, Going back thru the RIP was totally out of the question,
Full ingoing tide and a violent storm, I dont think so for this little Black Duck, Im Crazy, Not stupid,
I came thru the Westernport Bay Heads at 2-30 AM, In a very violent storm,
It was that bad, I thought the mast would snap off,
I was rotating 90 and 180 degrees as the boat spun around,
I was hand steering, Lock to lock trying to keep it straight,
I was using the light house light for direction as the GPS could not keep up with the spinning of the boat,
I turned my spreader lights on, There was a huge hole in the ocean in front of me,
So I turned the lights off again, hahahaha That looked scary, Hahahaha
Im glad I was on my own, Terrified passengers is some thing I didnt need at that time,
But it did prove how capable and seaworthy my little cork actually is,
In going tide and 6 knots on the motor, I was doing at least 10 knots up the channel,
Then the drive shaft Universal joint snapped off and I had to sail the rest of the way on the Genoa,
I missed the swing mooring on the end of the marina channel as I sailed past it, doing 9 knots on the Genoa,
I dropped the Danforth, Hahahaha It would not set and I kept going for the shallows and the mangroves,
I did a U turn on the genoa, and came back towards the swing mooring, The Bloody Danforth then decides to grab the bottom and holds me about fifty feet short of the swing mooring,
I then decide to drop the Genoa, I now have no power, No sail up, and I am drifting back towards the shallows and mangroves again,
The Danforth is dragging again,
I am in at least 40 knots of wind, I have a look to the rear, and Im going to hit the piling dead centre, That will take out my drive leg,
So I drop my new home made 40 KG hoop type new generation anchor, The boat stops dead,
My new anchor works, Ive tried it before in High winds, But its too heavy to drag up by hand,
Im at the end of the Marina channel, But they wont come out in their dinghy to pull me in as the winds are too high,
I had been at the helm for over 24 hours constant by this time,

So the Volunteer Rescue service comes out and hooks me up to get me into the marina, 1/2 a mile away.
They were commenting on the high winds,
They were more impressed that I had just come across Bass Strait in the previous nights extremely bad and violent weather, Like I said, There is no where out there to safely hide on the anchor, Its all rocky cliffs and rocky beaches,

Im just glad the drive shaft didnt fail while I was out in Bass Strait, I would seriously been in deep Poo Poo,
Rescue was totally out of the question by any one, I would have been on my own,
But now after a lot of head aches and turmoil My boat is back in the water and totally up to scratch,

Ive since done a 7 day sail in Bass Strait and only had one day of wind, But it was nice to be doing 9 knots on the nose in 3 Metre waves,
When this covid lockdown is lifted, Im going up the Tasman Sea, across the top of OZ and to the Kimberlys,
Returning Via Perth and the Southern Ocean to Melbourne, Approx 18,000 miles,
Boat at Yaringa, Good piiccy..jpg
Boat Uni Joint,.jpg
Boat Parked behind French Island.jpg
Pro 41 piccys 1571.jpg
Pro 41 piccys 1471.jpg
Pro 41 piccys 1405.jpg
Pro 41 piccys 1242.jpg

Cheers, Brian,

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
8,685 Posts
Sounds like you've got more invested in that boat than you would have a brand new one.
Your tale is exactly why I suggest everyone with no sailing knowledge start with something around 15 feet and a real beater, but serviceable. Repairing it, grounding it, flipping it over are all easy and inexpensive on a little boat. Even learning the basics of anchoring are more easily done on a smaller boat.
Of course, you didn't choose the most sailing friendly area of the world to learn in.
I hope things go better in the future.

Reactions: pdqaltair

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you've got more invested in that boat than you would have a brand new one.
Your tale is exactly why I suggest everyone with no sailing knowledge start with something around 15 feet and a real beater, but serviceable. Repairing it, grounding it, flipping it over are all easy and inexpensive on a little boat. Even learning the basics of anchoring are more easily done on a smaller boat.
Of course, you didn't choose the most sailing friendly area of the world to learn in.
I hope things go better in the future.
In actual fact, I came out a long way ahead on my Repairs, With Cash left over,
The Insurance paid me out in full, They paid for the salvage, storage and cleaning, and motor repairs at the time
As I contracted out the main hull repairs and did all the rest myself,
I did all this after getting prices to repair my boat and the trucking of it to Melbourne,
I knew precisely how much it was going to cost me before I started,
Give or take, 10 Grand,
The one thing I do regret was wasting 5 years of my life waiting for repairs that didnt happen, From the shonk,

In Hindsight, I should have taken the money and bought the same Gemini with all the bells and whistles in San Deago, USA, Same Price as mine and the same year,
As a 12,000 Nmile voyage from USA to OZ, would not be a problem for me after sailing 3000 Nmlies on the Vessel that I got wrecked on, All open Ocean, Single handed,
I was by then a very competant sailor, and I knew my boat very well,
The main reason I bought my boat was for the wild ocean conditions that I sail in down here at the bottom of Australia,
Similar to the Northern Atlantic,
Bass Strait, Tasman Sea and the Southern Ocean can get rather Hectic at times,
If my boat can cross the Northern Atlantic, Its more than capable for the Oceans down here,

Cheers, Brian,

·
Master Mariner
8,685 Posts
In actual fact, I came out a long way ahead on my Repairs, With Cash left over,
The Insurance paid me out in full, They paid for the salvage, storage and cleaning, and motor repairs at the time
As I contracted out the main hull repairs and did all the rest myself,
I did all this after getting prices to repair my boat and the trucking of it to Melbourne,
I knew precisely how much it was going to cost me before I started,
Give or take, 10 Grand,
The one thing I do regret was wasting 5 years of my life waiting for repairs that didnt happen, From the shonk,

In Hindsight, I should have taken the money and bought the same Gemini with all the bells and whistles in San Deago, USA, Same Price as mine and the same year,
As a 12,000 Nmile voyage from USA to OZ, would not be a problem for me after sailing 3000 Nmlies on the Vessel that I got wrecked on, All open Ocean, Single handed,
I was by then a very competant sailor, and I knew my boat very well,
The main reason I bought my boat was for the wild ocean conditions that I sail in down here at the bottom of Australia,
Similar to the Northern Atlantic,
Bass Strait, Tasman Sea and the Southern Ocean can get rather Hectic at times,
If my boat can cross the Northern Atlantic, Its more than capable for the Oceans down here,

Cheers, Brian,
Sounds great

Reactions: Mr B
1 - 4 of 4 Posts