SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for experience and opinions on the roller furling systems designed for asymetrical spinakers (e.g., facnor, bamar rollgen, etc.). I'm hearing very mixed feedback on the systems ("works fine for smaller sails", "not ready for primetime"). I'd be looking to use one with a sail that would be in excess of 1100 sq ft.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
That is a pretty large sail. Is it a pre-existing asym that you are hoping to retrofit with a roller furler, or are you starting from scratch?

My understanding is that the furlers work better if the sail is flatter (like a gennaker/code-sail), as opposed to the typically fuller asym chutes. Also, they generally furl better if there is a taut line in the luff, better still if the sail has two parallel lines running up the luff, spaced an inch or two apart to give some purchase for furling.

·
1,000 Posts
Looking for experience and opinions on the roller furling systems designed for asymetrical spinakers (e.g., facnor, bamar rollgen, etc.). I'm hearing very mixed feedback on the systems ("works fine for smaller sails", "not ready for primetime"). I'd be looking to use one with a sail that would be in excess of 1100 sq ft.
Paragon, as far as head sail gear, (if you can afford it), there is only one brand I use, out of expereince with others..And that is Facnor..I want nothing else, sorry. CLICK HERE FOR WHAT YOU WANT

What you are looking for is here in the photos bellow..

It's basically a roller like the one you see on my boat at the end of this post, but does not have the slide. It is conceived to be used with a free luff of a assy spi. It also allows the luff to raise and lower to provide spi draft..It's the one with the rolled red sail, a storm head sail in this case.

I have assy's with as much as 1500sq ft, and so far, only Facnor has done it flawlwssly, it's woth the cost difference as they custom it for you. Mine is here bellow:

It's a Custom system that is presentely being used for a genoa, but it's what you want..

Give FACNOR a call or email...I beliieve in tue US, Facnor , that is owned by Sparcraft is called Charleston Spar. Nothing beats it...in real war, not farting around cruising...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Giulietta -

The sails look like North Sails - Can you tell me what particular Sails Loft made the sails? Reason I ask, at Annapolis boat show spoke with North Sails Loft based in Annapolis and they weren't that keen on the Furling the Asyms with the rollers. Any thought as to why that might be?

Thanks again

S/V Paragon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts