SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, don't want to waste anyone's time with my total lack of elementary knowledge of sailing but I thought this might be a good place to learn.

I'm contemplating writing a work of fiction in which a petty criminal, in way over his head, attempts to smuggle about 2 tons of cargo half way around the world. How plausible would this be in a boat that could be sailed by one person?

I figured flying it would require too big a plane and too much logistical support. This guy is pretty much on his own.

Also, my humble apologies to "Landlubber" for sort of copying his nickname. I should have known it would already be taken but the name fits my predicament.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have prefaced the question by saying that this is something that would have happened 30 years ago (cargo is gold). Has the technology changed significantly enough in the last 30 years that it would affect the answer to the question?

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for chiming in. Another question: What kind of craft would we be looking at in terms of nomenclature? Obviously not a dingy. I know that much. And how do I get ahold of Mr. SimonV?

Thanks everyone.

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gold in the keel has been done before:) The Golden Keel, Desmond Bagley. In this novel the sailor is experienced, but he still looses the keel somewhere in the med during a storm.

TC
Oh, the old "gold in the keel" trick, eh? Well, good thing it's not a big part of the story. Although, maybe the character could say, "I've got it! I could stuff it all in the keel just like in that old Desmond Bagley novel." ;)

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I read the thread on Patterson's book and saw someone else I'd like to PM, a published author who might have some suggestions on getting the research, etc. But I have to get to 10 posts before I can PM anyone. You guys are great. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate the insights you're sharing.

Unfortunately, I'm land-locked and my meager resources don't allow me to follow painkiller's advice and try it for myself. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.