SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
While not designed to shut the motor down, there are many raw water flow alarms on the market. If you are alerted to the lack of flow, it could even be sooner than a temp gauge knows what's going on. In either case, you've likely eaten an impeller.

All that said, I would never sleep with a generator running. While accidentally frying the genset is one reason, which the OP is trying to prevent, presumably the generator is running to power something. That power draw is a fire hazard, while sleeping.

Our Mase generator has both an oil and temp cutoff built in. Still, no sleep with it running. In fact, I've received false alarms too and the motor won't start, thinking the oil is low. I dig into the genset locker, check, no issue. Have to fully reset the brains on the genset and start over. Fail safes are not fail proof either. Again, why one shouldn't rely on one while sleeping.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
Good points FarCry, however, I've never seen a genset on any bareboat I've chartered. I charter smaller vessels for just the two of us. Our boat at home entertains guests routinely.

I would also much prefer to deal with a fire at a marina, near shore, than on the hook. Much more likely to get out and have somewhere to go, fire services are far more readily available, etc. I also think that shorepower is more reliable than adding a running engine. Still, I get your point.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
Our DS has a huge ice maker and two fridges, one dedicated to beer, wine and ritas. Trust me, it's entertaining! :)

Once again, we waited a tad too long to pull the trigger for bareboat this winter. It's a trend. We're still enjoying sailing here when we need to commit. We had our eye on a two cabin 40ish Jennie/Bennie in St Martin, but it was booked before we committed. Wanted another couple to come along this time. Hoping first week or two in Feb, but probably going to be a last minute opportunity/deal that would make it happen. BVI or St. John maybe, just given the greater likelihood of last min inventory.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.