SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want my generator to be more safe.
Right now it may have an oil shutdown, but I am not sure.
I would like to add a water shutdown, but am out of ideas on this one.
At least out of ideas that would not cost close to $1000 to initiate.

Any thoughts how I might add a water flow shutdown?
I want to be able to sleep while it is running, or be on deck sailing, and not worry about it.

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every diesel generator I've ever had installed on a boat (or shoreside for that matter) has a high temp shut down that operates in conjunction with the temp gauge sender. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks to install a normally closed sender (for whatever temp you desire) at the same point that your present temp sender is located and run it to the fuel solenoid power wiring. Engine gets hot, sender opens, cuts power to the fuel solenoid and Bob's your uncle; your gene goes to sleep. Easy, cheap and reliable.
EGT probe too? I want to save a burned hose and muffler.

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So get a 200 degree sender. Generators are constant speed engines that rarely vary a few degrees in operating temp while operating, so if the standard operating temp is 180, 200 should do the trick before any damage occurs. What's an EGT probe?
I guess I need to time how long it takes the generator to hit a high temp under load with no raw water flow?

· Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure your generator doesn't already have a raw water flow switch. Many do, I found out the hard way. ;-) Long story short the o-ring on my strainer basket was missing after I took delivery. It ran for a bit but then the impeller finally gave up. It shut down quickly and would not remain running upon restart. They also may have an exhaust gas temperature sensor, as does mine. I assume this is to prevent a melted piston or valve?

See if you can find the original brochure describing the features of your unit.
no, I shut it off for a full min yesterday. It didn't notice. It was not under load, and the temp didn't go up at all. In other news the start/run solenoid is either bad or does not have a good ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.