SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
jimbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newer nexr generation 5500 kw generator with a fuel filter on the motor, which is a kaboda diesel, and one on the boat. it runs for a few minutes then cuts off. I check each fuel filter and they are low. I fill them up then it runs for a little while then cuts off. Each time I check the fuel filters they are low. I fill em up and bleed the lines and repeat the process. Any ideas? P.s. I'm on a two weeks sailing vacation now and would love to use the generator.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would check all fail safe items. Sounds like it is shutting down from one of these. There maybe one for low oil, oil level might be okay when not running and after starting with oil up in engine leaving not enough oil where sensor is located. There may be a low oil pressure cut out too. Don't think it would be a high temp cut out, not running long enough. Could be a low fuel pressure cutout.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
When you turn the key to the 20 second "heat the glow plug" position (on, but not start) can you hear the rapid tic...tic...tic..ticking of the electric fuel pump?

·
Master Mariner
9,071 Posts
Definitely a fuel line blockage or air leak. There's probably nothing wrong after the primary (in boat) filter, but either the line to the primary filter is partially blocked, the primary is fouled inside, or there's an air leak somewhere before the primary. I had the same problem and assumed the tank gauge was faulty, but even after filling it, I could not move fuel from the primary. Ended up the primary, a Racor, was fouled inside before even getting to the element. Cause was a very dirty, 30 year old alloy fuel tank, with copper lines. Cleaned the filter housing thoroughly, changed to larger fuel lines and haven't had a problem since. Dual primaries would solve the problem in the short run, but I have no doubt it will happen again as there is absolutely no way to clean the tank w/o removing it and the boat's salon sole.
You will need to inspect the primary and if it's clean, pressure test the line to it. If that is clear, then the only other place it could be blocked or have an air leak is in the pick up in the tank. Failing to find a blockage there, then the fuel pick up may no longer be long enough to reach the fuel at it's present level. It may have a hole or be broken off. On a proper fuel system, the pick up tube should be attached to a fitting in the tank top, which is removable. If it isn't removable and you still have trouble after going through all that, I can probably help you repair things without replacing the tank, but let's see how it goes first. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts