SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Recommend separate exhausts

Motion,

I would advise against tying the two together. You may introduce the possibility of forcing water from the main engine exhaust into the genset engine (if it were not running) or vice versa. I just finished a self-install of a genset. I used a 1.5" bronze mushroom through-hull for the exhaust. Cost about $50 at WM. No big deal to install so long as you're out of the water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Centek Industries

Motion,

Centek industries makes a through-hull with a flapper made of fiberglass - which is fine for the wet exhaust from your genset. Give them a google. If you install one of their water lift mufflers in the exhaust circuit (about $125 off the internet for a 1.5" inlet/outlet) I think you wouldn't need a flapper. Depending on the vertical distance between the genset's exhaust and your water line, you should consider including a vertical loop when routing your exhaust from the engine (or muffler) to the through-hull to prevent siphoning of water when heeling. The instructions accompanying the muffler I bought recommended an 18" loop above the waterline.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Muffler Link

Motion,

Tried to post a link to a muffler that is suitable for your application but the forum rules deem me not worthy. If you go to centekindustries.com and click on their vernalift line of mufflers, you will find mufflers suited for your application that should obviate the need for a flapper on your exhaust through-hull.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts